A little advise please

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tfward, Jan 25, 2011.

1. tfward macrumors member

So here's the deal I have what I think is an early 09 MBP (2.4ghz with 2 gb ram). I'm starting to get alot of beach balls and so I'm looking to make some upgrades. My limit is about $300 so I was thinking about grabbing the 500 gb momentus xt and 4 gigs of ram or the 4 gigs of ram and a good 120 gb SSD. I know the SSD would be a lot faster, but frankly I know nothing about them and from what I've been reading there kind of a pain to maintain with OSX and no trim support. So what do you guys think I should do? and if you do suggest the SSD which one and what all do I need to do to maintain the drive? Thanks in advance.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

The RAM will be the most budget-friendly upgrade. I'd bump the RAM to 4 GB and see if you're still having problems, then move on to a new hard drive if that doesn't solve it.

3. tfward thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply. While I'll definitely be getting the 4 gigs to upgrade the ram. I was more curious about which way I should go with the harddrive and is maintaining a ssd's performance a pain in osx?