A little confused about the data plan changes...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thrill5one6, Jun 13, 2010.

1. thrill5one6 macrumors regular

thrill5one6

I have the 3GS since August with unlimited data.
    I understand if I keep my current 3GS or if I pre order/upgrade to the iPhone 4, I get to keep unlimited data

But what if I upgrade to the iPhone 4 months down the road or the iPhone 5 years down the road, do I get to keep my unlimited data plan forever?
    Or do I have to pre order the iPhone 4 to keep my plan?
    :confused::confused::confused:

2. j3yq macrumors 6502

j3yq

You keep it until you decide to change or AT&T forces you to..

3. Krayd2k macrumors member

Yes u can keep it u don't have to have new iPhone 4 as long as u never downgrade

4. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Grandfathered means just that...until they force you into some sort of network upgrade option, you will never truly loose it unless AT&T offers one of those..."if you want LTE you need the new plan" deals.

5. Resist macrumors 68030

Someone said on another thread that the unlimited data plans will be grandfathered for only 2 years. Then after that all of us with the unlimited plan will have to be on the new plans.

6. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Ask them for proof. AT&T has never said that and if history proves correct, you'll never be forced to change. What they will most likely do is at somepoint offer some feature or something that will make you want to change

7. thrill5one6 thread starter macrumors regular

thrill5one6

That's what I was worried about.
    Thanks everyone for the responses!

8. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

source? That is the first I have heard of that.

9. kallyq macrumors regular

I have a question related to this question. Say I upgrade my phone and keep the unlimited plan when I purchase the phone and get a new 2 year contract. Would I possibly be able to downgrade to the $15 plan in the future or am I "stuck" with the unlimited for the 2 year period? I'm not ready to give up unlimited but I also do not use that much data! :p

10. Krayd2k macrumors member

U can downgrade when ever u like but u will not be able to go back to the unlimited

11. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

No, you're not "stuck." You can downgrade whenever I believe, and it could save you a few bucks if you don't use that data. However, if for whatever reason you wanted to switch back to unlimited, that would not be possible. Your only option would be 2GB. Once you rid your plan of unlimited, it's gone for good.