A little confused?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Tadros86, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Tadros86 macrumors 6502

Tadros86

So I am on the AT&T website looking at the iPhone page and I read this "In order to use data such as email, Google Maps, YouTube videos and web browsing, AT&T recommends using iPhone in a 3G or EDGE Network (coverage viewer), or from a local Wi-Fi connection. " Why would they suggest using the iPhone in 3G area if the iPhone doesn't use 3G?

I read on another thread that an AT&T worker had said that 3G is just like a software update? I doubt it, but why would they suggest using 3G? I really really doubt it being in the iPhone already and no one noticed, and I doubt AT&T are pointing to an upgraded iPhone. Typo maybe?

2. mr.stinki macrumors 6502

Yeah, it's a typo. The iPhone doesn't have the 3G chips it needs to access the 3G network.

3. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Yea that sounds like someone cut n pasted the general AT&T boilerplate on there.

4. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

The webpage is iPhone specific...

but the "coverage map" is for ALL phones. AT&T has non-iPhones that operate on the 3G network, (indicated in the BLUE Shaded areas). AT&T has 3G available in many areas, and several phones are already operating on 3G as we speak. Check out:

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/why/technology/3g-umts.jsp

It explains the 3G enhancements. :cool:

5. Tadros86 thread starter macrumors 6502

Tadros86

Ok, I never said it wasn't for all phones. I am wondering why they would suggest to use the iPhone in 3G areas if the iPhone can't take advantage of 3G. Not like it says "AT&T suggests using your cell in 3G and EDGE areas," it says iPhone. Be pretty awesome if they knew something we didn't know, update wise.

6. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

It's because an EDGE phone can work in a 3G area, since the 3G areas will drop back to EDGE.

Thus their wording: the phone works in 3G or EDGE areas.

7. oldimac macrumors regular

I don't have an iPhone yet but....

In the REAL world is 3G that much faster? I know the specs, but is the iPhone without 3G that much slower than a sony or noka on 3G? :rolleyes:

8. myphone macrumors 6502

myphone

A little bit faster than Edge but Wifi is still faster than 3G.