A little creeped out...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by milani, Sep 4, 2008.

1. milani macrumors 68000

milani

Alright this just happened about 3 minutes ago. I'm studying in my room, reading a few chapters of a book for tomorrow's class. My iPhone is asleep, sitting on my bed. Headphones are plugged into it (the regular Apple ones), but it's not on, and I haven't used the iPod app in days (I typically use Simplify Media, as I could never fit my music library on my phone). Anyway, the screen is turned off obviously, and since I haven't touched it for at least 20 minutes, the screen lock is on. Well out of nowhere, the screen turns on, and the phone starts playing a song from the iPod. The keypad lock doesn't come on, and the screen just says "slide to unlock," but the song is playing through the headphones. A little creeped out... has this happened to anyone else?

2. bassproguy07 macrumors 6502a

bassproguy07

i don't use the ipod feature like at all but i Have noticed that sometimes my passcode lock doesn't even show up after some ammount of time. it kind of bothers me but its really not a big deal.

3. milani thread starter macrumors 68000

milani

I only point out that the passcode lock wasn't prompted because I actually didn't touch the phone. It would only come on after I slid to unlock, but I didn't even do that, yet it managed to open the iPod and play a song all on its own!

4. jonnymo5 macrumors 6502

If you are wearing the headphones that come with the iPhone then my guess is you clicked the button on the cable. Apart from that, the actual connector could have had something on it that caused the device to receive a signal that the button was pressed.

Otherwise... ghosts.:eek:

5. biker74 macrumors member

biker74

Either all that, or you are being haunted and a ghost wanted to hear some tunes.

6. milani thread starter macrumors 68000

milani

This ghost must really want to hear some music because no word of a lie I just went back to my room and the phone is playing music AGAIN. A different song, but from the same album... WTF!

Oh and FYI I didn't touch the cable/wasn't wearing the headphones, the phone was 3 feet away from me.

EDIT: I'm holding it now (but I haven't touched the screen or any buttons) and it just switched songs mid song to a song from a different album... This is too weird!

7. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

8. ns04 macrumors newbie

ns04

just out of curiosity, what kind of music are these ghosts gettin down to?

9. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

10. milani thread starter macrumors 68000

milani

It's playing songs from Blood Sugar Sex Magik right now, currently sampling Funky Monks. Before that it was playing some N*E*R*D.

Nope, no alarms or anything.

11. ns04 macrumors newbie

ns04

12. sibruk macrumors 6502a

Hmm, I don't think that could have been the cause. If you have let your iPhone go to sleep, the clicker won't cause the screen to go on. Well mine doesn't anyway.

I have had similar things happen to me. I will discover that the iPhone has been playing away to itself and eaten up half my battery. It's very strange.

13. nakamuramori2 macrumors regular

oh...rite.. my iphone did that too. i never touch anything but a song was playing. it happed twice so far..

14. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

15. BoingoBongo macrumors regular

There have been a few different instances where my phone will just randomly start playing a song, even if I haven't used the iPod function and the phone is set to silent.

It's very weird. Luckily, so far it hasn't happened in situations where it would be disruptive. Kind of annoying though.

16. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Yeah i think its the software just going nuts. My phone does weird things as well...although rarely, the last one being a few days ago. After i finished a call and pressed end call button, the screen just shut off instead of going to the home screen as per normal and it wouldn't accept/respond to any other input until i connected it to my computer before it started working normally again.

My guess was the proximity sensor that turns off the screen probably lost it for a moment or the software controlling it did

In your case i would guess your headset is buggy and the control/mic button probably sent inadvertent signals to the phone prompting it to playback some music?...either that or its a bug with 2.0.x software