iPad a little disappointed where apple took the smart cover.

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by iapplelove, Oct 31, 2013.

1. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

I bought two smart covers the day they came out,both leather versions along side the iPad 2. Been using them since with 3 newer iPads,they hold up great and feel good in the hands.

Excited about the air and the lightness but I don't understand why apple would only release the newest version of smart covers in plastics only, and as far as i can tell pretty ugly bright colors. IMO a "full"cover is only going to weigh down the air and add thickness but i can already see i'm most likely going to get one of those because it will just feel better and the leather versions usually have more upscale color options.

I really consider the smart cover a piece of the iPad. A smart case, not really feeling it.

2. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68000

TroyBoy30

3. Breitling65 macrumors 6502

After 3 years of using red leather smart cover I could say it is pretty bad material. Gets dirty quick, can't be cleaned well and stretching. I am certainly prefer leather anyway but I wish it is better in quality.

4. leenak macrumors 68020

Well we can trade. I'm disappointed that the only options for a smart case is leather. I do not buy dead cow hide to cover myself or my electronics. So I have had to look elsewhere although I have pre-ordered a Logitech FabricSkin keyboard cover :)

5. iapplelove thread starter macrumors 68040

iapplelove

Really? I have a black and a dark blue Smart Cover both leather both held up amazingly well after 3 years. And I bring my iPads everywhere.

----------

Don't usually buy leather products myself but in the case it is the better product. And besides I would be a hypocrite if I bashed leather apparel when I do enjoy a good burger every now and again lol

6. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I'm a vegetarian yet still have a leather Smart Cover... am I a bad person? :eek:

7. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Yes, you are a vegetarian :p

J/K.

8. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68000

TroyBoy30

+1

my leather smart cover for my 3rd gen ipad held up great and i took it all over the country

9. offcamber macrumors 6502

offcamber

Love the leather covers but the synthetic have lasted longer and are easier for me to clean.
    I wish there was a cordovan option which is actually horse hide. Horween does not kill horses for their hides but after the animal dies a natural death the hides are harvested.

10. tx26257 macrumors member

Could you imagine a shell cordovan cover would cost. Love my shell shoes and wallet last forever

11. mrjackal macrumors newbie

I have the Red leather cover for my iPad 2, wish they still have that option. I am not sold on the smart case. I bought one when they first came out and it was way too loose on my iPad. I want a snug, tight fit (giggle).

Thanks for reading.

12. OSMac macrumors 65816

New colors seem in line with iOS 7 , both disappointing to many.

It reminds me of when Tvs went all silver for couple of years,
    or when everyone had to have orange shag carpet.

This too will pass.

13. cardfan macrumors 65816

I'm more concerned about how it folds in 3 places now instead of 4. Seems less sturdy. I wasn't a fan of the Mini smartcover.

14. OSMac macrumors 65816

Another good point, and leaning back a bigger angle not the best for table top use.

15. AppleRocks2011 macrumors member

AppleRocks2011

I Miss My Leather

I had an iPad Mini and an iPad 2. I'm super sad about the fact that there are no leather smart covers. I don't like the smart case because I can't take my iPad in and out easily.....

I love getting new products, but it sucks when there are a lack of cases at the beginning. But hey, I'm not going to complain! T-minus 24 hours until launch!

16. cardfan macrumors 65816

Yep, I loved the previous ipad smartcover. But the Mini one, I returned. It never stayed folded well. Plus it flopped around when on device. Guess I won't know about the new one til i try it.

I opted for a Speck grip for Mini and treat it like a bigger ipod touch. http://www.speckproducts.com/candyshell-grip-for-ipad-mini.html?gclid=CP2T0KqZwboCFURp7AodOlYA6w No cover. It'd be nice to get a similar case for the ipad Air and not worry about a cover. Maybe just a sleeve to slide in for on the go.

17. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Bad person no… anemic yes. :D

On an aside, the new SC is three panels. 3rd party cases with three panel covers are never as sturdy as four panel covers, I wonder how Apple's will be.