A little disappointed with iMac upgrade

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Buffsteria, Jun 19, 2012.

1. Buffsteria macrumors regular

Buffsteria

We had a 10,1 Intel Core 2 Duo 3.06Ghz, 14GB RAM. We upgraded to a 12,2 i5 3.1Ghz, 16GB RAM....not seeing quite the bump we expected. Was the upgrade a mistake? We were both thinking Quad Core would be twice as fast as Core 2 Duo.

Used for Photoshop, Maya and Zbrush.

2. Litany macrumors member

Yes, it was a huge mistake. The machine you bought is over a year old and will be updated very soon.

3. ds82 macrumors member

Double the cores doesn't mean you get twice the speed. Not every task can be optimized to make good use of multiple cpu cores ...

4. leman macrumors 604

Well, the new CPU is significantly faster than your old one. I guess your workflows are not that CPU-intensive. For numerical computations, the difference is staggering.

P.S. Increase in cores does not automatically translate in same increase in performance. Actually, it does, but mostly because the cores of the new CPUs are much more effective then old ones.

5. nagareru macrumors regular

Is it rendering you are talking about? Because a cpu ram upgrade will only be noticeable there.

6. DeF46 macrumors regular

CPUs are never a huge upgrade. That was the same impression for me upgrading a PC even after two years.

Right now your best bet would be a SSD, even installing OS X on an external one, judging by most reviews.

7. hi-there macrumors member

Like others have mentioned, if CPU upgrade didn't improve your speed, maybe the SSD will. It will increase your data access by four times plus.

8. SHates macrumors newbie

Most stuff is IO bound. Moving to an SSD gives a very noticeable boost in "speed".

9. zerostar macrumors regular

My Old 2.5 Core 2 Duo "Feels" way faster than my work i7 does simply from an SSD upgrade. I have an OCZ Vertex 2 (older one) in it and its a screamer even without the fastest ATA bus.

10. Buffsteria thread starter macrumors regular

Buffsteria

I've seen some people upgrading their 2010 iMac CPUs to i7 from i5. Will this still work with the 2011?

11. chevalier433 macrumors 6502a

chevalier433

Dude your cpu is fine and strong for some years more the problem with your imac is that you work with one disk add an ssd and an esata port if you had 2010 and older and a thundrbold drive if its newer and your machine will fly.

12. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

If you run virtual machines you'd notice a difference....you could dedicate 2 cores to the VM and still have 2 for OS X and both would really fly for usual tasks....the old CPU couldn't do that with one core dedicated to each.