A little electric shock from Apple Pay?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dagdagdag234, Dec 4, 2014.

1. dagdagdag234 macrumors regular

Maybe this sounds nutty, maybe its been covered somewhere else, I searched and couldn't find but...

I just used my iPhone 6 with ApplePay for only the second time -- at Panera Bread. When I placed my thumb on the sensor and then placed the phone near the machine, I felt a little electric tingle in my thumb. It kinda hurt just a tiny bit.

Does this make sense?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Nope, doesnt really make sense.
    The touch ID doesn't zap you.

3. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Placebo effect :p Highly unlikely, if it did happen I'd be concerned about my device being damaged. Might have been static electricity, I get nailed with static electricity all the time, nothing like a couple hundred thousand volts to keep you on your toes :p :D :D :D .

4. dagdagdag234 thread starter macrumors regular

I don't know. I definitely felt something. Device looks fine.

I am totally willing to chalk it up to me possibly being insane though.

I'm afraid of ApplePay now.

5. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

6. azhava macrumors regular

If this was a thing, there would be a hundred threads here about it already and it would be another "-gate", complete with #shockgate hashtags, Android fanboys gleefully proclaiming it as another Apple screwup and all. You either got zapped with static electricity or you're imagining it.

7. cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

Static I could see possibly happening. The touch ID ring is metal. I've never had it happen in over a year of using touch ID(not Apple pay ) but who knows.

8. Allthings-I macrumors 6502

Static shock or OP experiencing Placebo effect

or

A new thing thats about to make headlines across the online world:

Apple Pay Shock-gate?
    TouchID Ring Shock-Gate?

9. wxman2003 Suspended

Are you thinking it's a shock when it's actually the phone vibrating? The phone will vibrate when using ApplePay if phone is toggled to mute.

10. dagdagdag234 thread starter macrumors regular

You got me - I just wanted to start my own "gate"!

----------

Maybe it was from rubbing that balloon on my head for so long. Seriously, it was something . I guess just a little static.

11. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Maybe you felt your phone vibrate.

12. mangomind macrumors 6502a

mangomind

It seems like the magnitude of the electrical shock was greater than that of static electricity. It could have been caused by a defect in the phone or in that specific NFC Apple pay unit. Hopefully it's a one time occurrence.

Or - I'm not an expert and I could be totally wrong, but it might have been caused by a known phenomenon called the Sullivan generator effect. This effect is caused by an imbalance of static distortion and the compounded conformity level of the atmosphere. The delocalized charges from your unique electrical frequency is picked up by the resonance detector of the NFC chip. This sets up an optimal pathway to release this potential energy from the NFC Apply pay unit, to the NFC chip, through the touch ID sensor, and then it is finally transferred to your thumb, resulting in minor electric shock.

13. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

What you felt was a pin prick sampling your blood for DNA. It's in secret beta stages. No worries.

14. deeddawg macrumors 604

15. HEK Suspended

HEK

Cause by shock of Panera Bread prices.

16. PowerBook-G5 macrumors 65816

PowerBook-G5

Could be a new feature where if someone other than the autorized  Pay user attempts to use Touch ID to buy something, it shocks the person. Would also shock you if Touch ID thought you were an imposter. Or maybe this is  Pay's way of saying "find a new hipster cafe to eat in"

/s

Could also be the vibration, as previously stated.

17. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

It's the fatty alert from the health app. It's telling you to put down the delicious bread and GET TO DA CHOPPA!!! I mean gym. Get to the gym…

18. rage813 macrumors newbie

i lost a thumb due to this 2 weeks into apple pay but my other thumb seems to be holding strong

19. HenryDJP macrumors 603

I won't disagree. Good assessment.

20. cynics macrumors G4

Some weird coincidence. The sensor is sapphire an surround is some sort of glass. Both are non conductive. Plus to feel a shock would require current the phone is incapable of producing. And even if there was so crazy malfunction (short of some sort) that was able to shock you it would almost certainly kill the phone.

Don't worry I work around electronics all day I constantly feel like I'm getting shocked. Its a placebo although usually induced by the potential of being shocked in the first place.