A little help designing my business card

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by jonnysods, Nov 5, 2008.

1. jonnysods macrumors 601

jonnysods

Hey all, I'm starting a small website design company, which is slowly in the works (nothing amazing compared to the stuff I see on here mind you), I'm more geared towards making websites for small businesses who have no website at all, or are in dire need of updating.

I'm working on a business card, let me know what you think of it. The power button is a 'tribute' to my old MacBook Pro, the grey beat up background is part of my logo. I'm having trouble deciding what colour to put my phone number (removed), web address and email address at the bottom.

I'm also looking for some other tips if you have them! Go easy on my, I'm putting myself out there to do this!!!

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. shamrock593 macrumors regular

I like the way you've done it vertically, always good to do something a bit different. :)

But I don't like the 'multimedia solutions' tag line, it seems to generic. Also, a bit more contrast for the text might be good. :)

3. macworkerbee macrumors 6502

I like the vertical also. Maybe the gray background could get darker for the type to be more clear. Also, try making the distressed texture (currently white) a light gray. Then, the only thing on the card that is pure white will be the type and it will stand out better.

I agree about the tagline being a bit generic. Maybe just list your services very plainly (as long as the list is short).

Other than that, what is the blue and the strang O doing in your company name? It feels strange and unessential to the design. I would get rid of it if you are investing in the power button being your icon.

Feel free to put up your edits and I'll be happy to give more feedback.

4. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

I agree with the posts above. I love the vertical business card look! I definitely find it hard to read the text though, so a different (darker) background color would look nice.

5. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

Make sure you are making it at a high resolution for print. 300 dpi tiff is a good start, but check with the printer. preferably with a vector logo and text.

Background is too light...like everyone pointed out.

6. jv-iphone macrumors newbie

I think it is a cool idea, like the vertical design, have you thought of making the O that you have in blue the power button, I also would contrast the font with the background better, maybe black with a white glow might be interesting. Or use the blue you used in the O.

7. ecwyatt macrumors member

Have you thought about using a spot varnish over the text? It might add a little to the cost of production but it can really change the "feel" of the card. Also have you thought about the reverse side. Most Print shops will throw in the second side for a very small addition to the price.

8. jdl8422 macrumors 6502

jdl8422

You are def n the right track. The vertical is nice. I understand what effect your are going for with the grunge brushes. My concern would be that the grey and white are a little too monotone and the grunge effect is really starting to look like an old worn business card, like if the business card has faded over time. I think the blue color is nice against the gray but there isn't enough of the blue. I may be wrong but you may want to consider it.

9. jonnysods thread starter macrumors 601

jonnysods

Thanks for the advice everyone!

I'll keep working on it - I know that there is just too much white in this, and it's hard to make out the contact details.