A little help installing an SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Fatt Kidd, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Fatt Kidd, Jan 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2013

Fatt Kidd macrumors newbie

i can't think, LOL sorry.
    I have an M4-512, can I just install it in my MBP. hold down the recovery option and format the drive and then do a clean install?

and then run time machine and add my profile back?

thanks in advance, major brain fart day.

title should read SSD sorry

2. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

I'm a bit confused. Are you talking about a new drive? or upgrading your MBP's memory?

RAM? or SSD? Seems like you're hinting at a Crucial M4 512GB SSD.

If you remove the original drive and put the SSD in there, there will be no recovery option. You should clone your drive using Carbon Copy Cloner or something similar.

However, if you want to do a clean install, you need to connect the drive externally. Basically, you will need to have an external drive setup for your SSD. Actually, you would need this as well for cloning. I assume you have this, right? Just plug it in to the USB port and choose to install Lion (or whatever OS) to the USB connected drive while in the recovery. I've done this countless times.

3. niteflyr macrumors 6502a

Yes, you can indeed do an Internet Recovery clean install on a blank drive.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718

During the setup process you can restore all settings, programs, etc. from the time capsule.

4. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Not always true, if the machine is a newer one or it's firmware updated it has internet recovery built into the firmware and can use Recovery.

Also, be aware with Carbon Copy cloning a SSD, there's plenty of people lately which use this and can not boot into the copy, they get into the grey screen with the dreaded "Stop" sign.

----------

OP, get the SSD inside and then do an internet recovery, not anything else.

Probably when we get 10.8.3 this will be solved but for now just use internet recovery only.

5. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Wha?! really?! I didn't know this. This is very interesting and very forward thinking! I learn something new everyday. Hehe, thanks. :)

----------

I've never seen this. But, I think OP should do a clean install anyway. New drive should have new stuff, not old stuff. But, that's just me.

6. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Yes really true, I don't know the exact machines which got it built in from factory and which ones got a firmware update but internet recovery is now always possible, even with a new clean drive.

I am on MR for most of the day and saw plenty of people with brand new SSD's with a stop sign after using CCC, probably because there are special builds and or bugs in 10.8.2 or not using internet recovery but download it themselves and make an USB installer which does not seem to work, internet recovery downloads a special build and this seems to work without problems.

7. Fatt Kidd thread starter macrumors newbie

yes I caught that too.... :-( I edited it but can't change the title

8. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

If you click on Edit and then Go Advanced, you can edit your title to be more descriptive.

9. Fatt Kidd thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you!!

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Even easier. Install the new drive and connect your Time Machine backup then option key boot and select the Time Machine disk as the boot source. Then once the recovery screen starts format the disk as Mac OS Extended. Then click restore. Done.

Sine Lion 10.7.2 you can boot to a local Time Machine disk.

11. raymond lin macrumors regular

I did the Carbon Copy Clone route just yesterday, so easy, after cloning it worked straight away. No faffing around.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But then again, my MBP has hardly had any use so i didn't feel I need a fresh install.