A little help installing Leopard on the iMac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by whatchettb, Nov 25, 2007.

1. whatchettb macrumors newbie

Ok, i just bought a new macbook from the apple store with leopard installed...

i bought an imac in september and it does not have leopard on it...

when i bought the macbook, i asked the apple store rep whether or not i should buy a copy of leopard for my imac, or whether the copy provided with the macbook would work on it...

he said that he shouldn't say it, but that the copy of leopard included with the macbook wasn't serialized so i should have no trouble putting it on my imac...

well... i've never even had to restore one of my macs before so i'm a little lost...

i put the first Leopard disc into the imac and started the computer... it seemed to run a few seconds of diagnostics and then the error message came up "leopard cannot be installed on this machine"...

i haven't really taken any other action because i am definitely a newbie to doing anything software-wise on a mac...

any help would be greatly appreciated!

thanks in advance

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Well, aside from advising you to violate the OS X license, he was also wrong.

Your Leopard disc is MacBook-specific and won't install on your iMac. Get a legit copy for it.

3. whatchettb thread starter macrumors newbie

wellllll crap... probably better just to sell the imac then...

4. unity macrumors 6502a

Well he is half right.

There are still a bunch of Macs out there with "Leopard Drop-In DVDs". Those computers came with 10.4 pre-installed, but as a great connivence those who purchased an Mac on/after release day received a "drop-in" install disc of 10.5.

This was the case with the iMac I picked up on the 23rd.

The rep may have, unwisely, assumed that their stock was still coming with drop-in discs. From the sound of it "I put the FIRST Leopard disc...", the Mac you got did not have a drop in disc and came pre-installed with Leopard.

So in that case, it will not work. If you had a drop-in disc it would have. But as stated, its against the license.

As an Apple Store employee, it should have sold you a copy anyway! lol

5. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Huh? What logic is that? The cost of Leopard is $129 U.S and you just bought the iMac in September? Buy a copy of Leopard for your iMac and move on to getting work done.