A little help on the deferences between Windows 7 OEM or Upgrade

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Hugh, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Hugh macrumors 6502a

Hugh

I am looking to install Boot Camp for Windows 7 Pro, but I'm a little confused by the OEM version and the upgrade. I know if I get the OEM version, I am stuck with Windows 7 on that machine. Meaning that I won't be able to install on other computer if I decide to take it off one machine and move it to another machine. Does this hold true for the upgrade?

Another question about OEM and the Upgrade, are you limited to how many reinstalls you do. For example you change something in configuration of the system, i.e. put in SSD drive in the computer. Would I need to re-buy the OEM again?

Thanks!

2. Quad5Ny, Jan 5, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2013

Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

IMO you should either buy the Upgrade version (use These Steps to get it activated) or the Full Version. Stay away from OEM copy's.

Here is the answers to you questions:

3. Hugh thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hugh

Thanks for the reply, that help me decide, and it answered all my questions. :)

Hugh

4. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

Sigh, I wish Microsoft would make choosing and running a copy of Windows easier. Anyway here's a bit more info;
    • The DVD that comes with the Upgrade version is exactly the same as the OEM and Retail (the product key is what differentiates Upgrade/OEM/Retail).
    • And if you would like more information on the Upgrade trick, Paul Thurrott has a nice article explaining the activation workaround as well.

5. drambuie macrumors 6502a

Also, you don't need to activate Win 7 Pro for 30 days, and there's a command level instruction that can be used to extend that 3 times for a total grace period of 120 days. This is perfectly legal, and not a hack.

If you pass the activation period, Win 7 is still fully functional, except that you have to click on a couple of extra boxes on bootup, and you get a black desktop background rather than wallpaper. Also, it says, "not genuine", in the lower right corner. All monthly security and system Windows updates will still be available.