A little help transferring images

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by stangfreak1984, Dec 13, 2012.

1. stangfreak1984 macrumors newbie

My brother past away dec 7th. My mom wants me to get all the pics and stuff off his macbook pro and external hard drive (1T). Then put it on her windows laptop. What is the east way to go about this. Keep in mind the 1T has over 4,000 pics on it. And another 1,500 on the mac. My sister wants all the music off the laptop and hard drive. The only thing i know to do is maybe may a torrent and email them. Or just use a jump drive. I don't know. Thank you in advance for any hep guys.

2. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

I'd transfer them all to the external drive then plug it into the windows pc and transfer them. Then you can format the macbook and drive?

3. Schranke macrumors 6502a

Schranke

First off...
    Sry for you and your families loss. And may the best be with you over the holidays.

One easy way to get picture and music over would be to make the mac shared to your wifi so all machines could get files from it.
    This might help:
    http://www.smallbusinesscomputing.c.../Add-a-Mac-to-Your-Windows-Network-Part-I.htm

another solution would be just to move all the pictures into folder on another external HHD there are fat32, and then just move all that way.

and then there are a program for windows there lets you read and write on HHD there uses mac fils system.
    http://www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive

hope some of this helps

4. TC400 macrumors 6502a

TC400

I am deeply sorry for you loss.

The external hard drive should be a easy one. Just plug that into to any machine and copy the data from it.

As for the pictures on the laptop turn on the computer maybe back it up to a hard drive? Open up iPhoto try to find where he had everything located it should be as easy as click and drag. Just to be on the safe side I would COPY everything instead of cutting and pasting it that way you have a copy if something happens. I know how sentimental things like this can be. Hopefully your mom has enough space on her drive to hold all of his stuff. Or try to transfer everything to his external hard drive and back it up somewhere that way you always have a copy.

5. stangfreak1984 thread starter macrumors newbie

Everything on the on the mac is the same that is on the external hard drive. But different people want different things. I was not sure if i could plug the external hard drive up to her windows laptop and drag and drop or not. Thanks for all the advice guys. Also thanks for the condolences.

One more question also. How do i go about setting it up so i can use my itunes, facetime and imessager?