A Little Help With Shakespeare

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ghall, Aug 1, 2008.

1. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

This next thrilling chapter of the Ghall saga does not deal with girls, but something almost as daunting: Shakespeare.

My girlfriend invited me to meet her at a performance of As You Like It, and I didn't understand a word of it. Could somebody walk me through the plot, I was thoroughly confused.

And I never knew Shakespeare was so bad ass.

2. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

Where did you see it? I was in As You Like It a couple of times, and it's one of the more fun and accessible of Shakespeare's comedies, IMO. Of course, it really depends on the production. If you couldn't understand enough to follow it, that's a poor reflection on the theater company.

Anyway, you already got a link to a summary page, I just hate when people feel intimidated by Shakespeare. :(

/rant

3. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

Ok I think I understand the story now. Makes much more sense.

I don't feel intimidated by Shakespeare per se, just don't really understand the plays. I downloaded the Shakespeare app onto my iPhone so maybe I can get some more exposure.

4. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

The trick to understanding Shakespeare (if you have a hard time with them) is to read it out loud. One of the biggest mistakes people make is to read silently to themselves. Shakespeare is meant to be seen and heard, and while you can't have that experience every time, you can read out loud to yourself and help get the feel of the play much easier than if you read silently.

Try it. :)

5. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

Will do, when I'm alone and nobody can hear me. :D

6. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Your padded cell comes to mind. :p

(Sorry, I know I'm still new, and piling-on a ghall thread is usually reserved for the 'regulars'.)

[​IMG]

7. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

So very true. Plays and poetry, to me, read aloud are more understood and absorbed. Seeing as Shakespeare is both, it's a good approach. :D