A little help would be nice

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by CountMaxMore, Apr 11, 2015.

1. CountMaxMore macrumors member

CountMaxMore

I just turned on my PowerMac g5 to find this error on the screen I don't know what to do is there a fix?

Attached Files:

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Repair Disk Permissions.

Macintosh HD>Applications>Utilities>Disk Utility.

Select the drive and click on Repair Permissions.

Reboot.

3. CountMaxMore thread starter macrumors member

CountMaxMore

I just tried that no luck but I will try one more time just incase :)

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Well, the only other thing I could think to try then would be to boot from the installer disk, go to Disk Utility and then Repair Disk.

If you have access to a copy of DiskWarrior (that works with your version of OS X) that'd be the better thing to try however.

5. CountMaxMore thread starter macrumors member

CountMaxMore

Yeah it didn't work, Would there be any issues if I ran my mac with this error and just ignored it every time it booted?

6. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

If the G5 fans are not blasting any your heat is in a normal range (for your Mac) then I'd say yes. It would indicate that the fans are still being controlled by the OS.

Not sure exactly what this kext does although the name certainly indicates something to do with fan control. But perhaps it's for a laptop. IDK.

7. CountMaxMore thread starter macrumors member

CountMaxMore

Yeah The fans still kick in just fine its just knowing that there is a problem with my os just makes me curious and want to fix it and bothers me when I can't get a fix

8. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

There's a built-in file system repair one step beyond using Disk Utility to repair permissions.

Boot into Single User Mode(hold :apple:+S while booting). When the command prompt appears, type /sbin/fsck -fy . You will get a series of read-outs. At the end of them, you will either see "THE FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED" or "The file system is okay."(these may not be the exact phrases, but something similar.

If you get the File System Modified message, you need to keep running fsck until the message no longer appears. In my experience, I've never needed to run it more than three times, and rarely more than twice.

9. CountMaxMore thread starter macrumors member

CountMaxMore

It siad volume appears to be ok and the error is still there

10. for this macrumors regular

This is like when I just copied some kext (a driver for Adaptec SCSI card's) from aother system (Tiger) into Leopard. I solved it by booting from the Tiger volume and properly run the driver's installer to install it into the Leopard volume (the installer wouldn't run on Leopard). Now there is no more warning but I doubt it is fully functional.

I think that kext is not belong to the system you're using. To be sure, try reinstalling the OS.

11. weckart macrumors 68040

The permissions for the kext are not set correctly. Running permissions repair won't work in this case as the faulty kext just gets ignored.

Open a Terminal window and try the following, assuming your kext is in /System/Library/Extensions as per the error message

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/AppleFan.kext
    sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/AppleFan.kext

As far as I can remember, Leopard should rebuild the kext caches on reboot, otherwise you may need to remove these and then reboot again to force a rebuild.

12. CountMaxMore thread starter macrumors member

CountMaxMore

Still errors I've done a couple things on my end: I deleted ( I did Back up the original file no worries ) the file in hopes it would auto rebuild but it didn't I installed a new copy of leopard on my mac mini and copy and pasted the file onto the PowerMac via Firewire and that didn't work if I delete the file completely off my PowerMac the error doesn't appear but thats not really a fix to my problem

13. weckart macrumors 68040

I just did a quick Google for this kext, as I don't remember it. It is for MDDs and G5 and only works on earlier builds of Tiger from the looks of things. It does not seem to be compatible with later versions of Tiger or Leopard at all.

Also, tinkering with the values in the info.plist seems to stop it from doing much but those need to be adjusted for the hardware on hand. The guy who wrote/maintained this kext stopped and removed it years ago. Good luck.