A little lost with storage usage.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dezza85, Feb 9, 2015.

1. dezza85 macrumors member

Hey.

So I'm really confused with the amount of storage space that my iPhone is using for pictures.

I have 768 pictures on my phone 5s and 22 videos (no longer than 30 seconds each) and the usage for these is apparently 5.4gb. I have emailed a range of samples to my computer at full resolution to find that most images are between 700kb to 1.2 mb and a 18 second video is 2mb. Therefore using an average of 1 mb per picture and 4mb per video I work out I would only be using 856mb, I understand that some pics and video may differ but surely not by several gb.

I have turned off photo sharing and deleted the recently deleted folder and I have not got iPhoto beta turned on either. Oh and all pictures have been taken on the iPhone not imported through iTunes etc.

Can anyone help my figure out why it is taking up so much space?

Cheers

2. JoEw macrumors 65816

JoEw

3. dezza85 thread starter macrumors member

There aren't any burst shots there, I'll keep it in mind though.

4. aicul macrumors 6502a

I have 188 photos and 10videis also fir 5.4gb

Wondering if a large slice of that is not the app

5. Jeff R macrumors 6502

Jeff R

Have you synced your iPhone with iTunes recently? This sometimes helps and frees up storage after sync.

6. dezza85 thread starter macrumors member

I have synced to iTunes 2 days ago and also restarted the device to see if it would delete any cache

7. k1ckdapro macrumors member

You can also try syncing your photos to the iCloud and then tick "optimize iPhone storage". By this way, the phone doesn't store high res pictures and frees up some space.

8. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Most of my 6 and 6+ images are over 2mb. Some as high as 2.7MB

Do not see how you are getting 1 MB each:rolleyes:

9. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

This.

Also, I've had 30 second video clips be 200+ mb.

With those stats I can easily imagine 5 gigs of space. I have a couple thousand pics and I don't know how many videos and I'm using about 15 gigs of space. It's the reason I can't go with a 16 gig ohone.

But that's beside the point. OP, just export all the files and erase them. See how much soace it frees.

10. dezza85 thread starter macrumors member

Even if you take every image as 2.7mb that's still just over 2GB of space used.

I have them all backed up on the computer but would like them kept on the iPhone as they are all pretty recent.

I plan to start using photos in the cloud but sceptical whilst it's still a beta along with the fact that just these few images take up all of the free 5gb Apple provide.

Coming onto the iCloud space, on the 20gb upgrade Apple offer to sell you per month, do we know if that's 20gb plus the 5gb free or 20gb in total?

Thanks

11. BigMcGuire macrumors demi-god

BigMcGuire

I've used an iPhone 4s and an iPhone 5 (both 16GB) for a few years. I'm an avid photographer (just for fun, nothing serious) - what I did was upload to Google+ Photos with the Google+ app then whenever the pictures got over a few GB I'd delete them all - using Google+ Photos app to see all the pictures later on.

I'm not 100% sure on the iCloud space but if Apple is like the rest of the industry (Google, Dropbox, OneDrive) it does not include the 5GB after you pay for 20GB. I pay for Google Drive storage ($1.99 for 100GB/mo for my 65,000+ pictures (my Chromebook gives me 1TB free on top of that)).

I splurged on a 128GB iPhone 6+ for this very reason - tired of worrying bout space and finances permitted it this time. I still use OneDrive (Office 365 subscription = 10TB of storage) and Google+ to back up my photos when I'm on WiFi.

12. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Hmmm...

Do you have them doubled up, as in one set in iCloud's photo stream and then another set synced with iTunes?