A little Mac help, please

paprika05

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2006
Hi,

I have an ibook G4. Something happened that changed some setting, now whenever I try to download something, or open an email attachment, or drag something from the desktop to the trash, a message pops up that says I can't do it because I have "insufficient privileges".

Also, when I go to do something with files (trash them, whatever) a box with a locked padlock symbol comes up and it says "Finder Requires that you type your Password". I type my password and that's when the "insufficient permission" deal comes up.

I believe that unlike PC, I think, on Macs an administrator has the same kind of power/privileges as a normal user so Im just stuck.

Is there a way around this problem or do I have to put in the disks and just totally erase and re-install OSX?

Im a student and this is obviously for school so Id like to do as much without having to resort to reinstalling the whole deal.

Any and all help is much appreciated. Thanks.

paprika05

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2006
Ive already opened up the Disk Utility (it's in Applications -> Utilities), selected the main hard drive, and clicked on "Repair Privileges." I hasnt changed anything. Thanks though.

paprika05

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2006
My guess is that I somehow set himself up as a user, and I dont remember the Admin password. I went through Help again and tried to re-set the admin password with the OS-X startup disk but everything just froze, couldn't even move the cursor to get anywhere, I had to power it off and on just to get the disk out.

meepm00pmeep

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2006
Toronto
you might need to reinstall OSX then, but you won't be able to by just inserting the cd/dvd because it will ask for a password, all you can do is reboot and hold down the C button to boot from the disc

emptyCup

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2005
Before you reinstall select your Documents folder (for example) and Get Info (Command-I). Under Ownership & Permissions make sure it is set to Read & Write. If not, and you can change it, check the Change All Enclosed box. It's worth a try. Good luck.

After G

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2003
California
Boot into single-user mode (press Command-S on keyboard).
Type these commands in order. Press return after each one and wait until they finish. For the third one, you can press enter if it gets stuck on acquiring network address.

Code:
fsck -fy
mount -uw /
sh /etc/rc
passwd <username>
reboot
This set of commands checks your disk, mounts it as read-write, loads some startup things, changes your password for your user account, and reboots.