A Little Mac Mini Advice

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by kendaluk, Feb 14, 2008.

1. kendaluk macrumors member

Hello all,

I have been using this forum for quite some time now, and I really appricate everyones advice etc,

Now as with dbam987, I have been waiting what seems like forever for an updated Mac Mini.

But now i am at a dilema, you see the orginal plan was to get a Mac Mini and a Time capsule. This together with my mac book and original video Ipod would all have worked swimmingly together...

But with 21st around the corner i will be getting a ITouch and quite looking forward to the prospects of the Itouch, Now is it still worth me waiting for the new Mac Mini? or should I just bite the bullet and order one in March?

Other than the chipset being updated would it be possible that they finaly include a much needed TV card in the mini? Making the wait for worthwhile so i could get even more out of the Itouch?

Or do i stick with a current Mini and transfer all of my Itunes, Photos etc (use it as a kinda of media hub - with Vista as a dual boot) and run it at the same time as my Dell (for the odd games i may play from time to time) with a KVM switch?

Wouldn't really be looking at using the mini as a games machine... maybe Football Manager at most, just a media hub to update my Ipod's and Vista's media centre to feed my Xbox.

So any advice would be worth while I just don't know if i should get a Mac Mini sooner rather than later?!

I know either way i wouldn't be dissapointed :D

2. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

If by "TV card" you mean a built in TV tuner so that it can watch or record over the air broadcasts, then don't hold your breath. The chances of that happening are exceedingly small as Apple have made it very clear that they are strongly trying to push an internet directed content distribution system. So a tv tuner would be the opposite of what they want to do.

That's my prediction anyway.

3. kendaluk thread starter macrumors member

Damn I was hoping no one would say that... I can always use a USB tuner but would be limited to how well my new touch would be able to playback any recordings? Am i right?

Based on this would it not be worth waiting?

4. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

An external video capture device would be fine and should work perfectly with the touch. Just do a little homework on which tv capture device to buy so that you get one that works well with the touch. So if that's what you were worried about and waiting for, then worry and wait no longer, go buy the mac mini today and start having a blast.

p.s. I don't actually have a touch or a tv tuner card but this is true from what I've heard others say. Try starting a thread in the touch forum asking which tv tuner/capture boxes work well with the touch.

5. kendaluk thread starter macrumors member

thanks for all the advice...

Ill have to wait till March for funds etc but ill be sure to be buying my 1st desk top mac :D

can't wait!!!

6. dbam987 macrumors regular

the waiting game

hi kendaluk, seems like we're in the same boat here waiting for something new to show up on the mini. I am hoping that apple does not discontinue it, or the wait will have been for nothing.

7. mheidt macrumors member

I wouldn't expect a new mini for the next 6month...actually not this year.
    It might be a little upgrade, but really nothing you would miss.
    First MB and MBP need a completely new architecture. Then you can dream to get the same half a year later for the mini.

I'm using a first gen G4 mini and eyeTV as DVR. It works...
    I'm getting a Time capsule and will see how it streams.
    In my case I would buy a new mac mini for the bigger hd only.
    I bought elgatos turbo.264 which enhanced converting significantly.

eyeTV can convert to iTouch/iPhone or ?TV with one click or even automatically after recording...but most of the time you might cut the commercials first, so that it's useless to convert directly after recording.

8. FatSweatyBlldog macrumors regular

Actually, the Macbook received an upgrade in November: updated to SantaRosa architecture, and X3100 as the new GPU. Since the Mini traditionally uses most of the same components as the Macbook line, the Mini should see Santa Rosa and a new GPU by summer. Maybe even wireless n. Other than that, I wouldn't expect the Mini to change much at all (as Apple's entry-level Mac). Definitely won't be coming with a TV tuner built-in :)

9. chickenninja macrumors 6502

chickenninja

ya know the mini might not have a built in tuner but apple might throw one in there displays in any case dont wait for hardware to come out, buy old hardware at a discount price through the apple stores refurbished section or take yr chances with craigslist. and dont forget student discount

10. bstreiff macrumors regular

I wouldn't expect a TV tuner in the mini, well, ever; Apple is really pushing getting TV/Movies online. If you want one, you'll have to get a USB/Firewire tuner.

I too, waited for what felt like forever for an upgrade to the Mac minis-- I finally bit the bullet when they went Core 2 (but, unfortunately, not Santa Rosa, which means that 1GB of my 4GB is for naught). I've been pretty happy with it, even though it isn't the best for gaming (Starcraft/Warcraft 3 work, and I was able to play through Half-Life 2 and HL2:Ep1 at 640x480 without the framerate getting too horrible... I can't, however, play Portal. :( )

If you're wanting to play the waiting game some more, I'd suggest waiting for Santa Rosa and the GMA X3100, but I wouldn't expect them before summertime.