A little more eye candy with stacks

Discussion in 'macOS' started by poppe, Nov 10, 2007.

1. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

Attached Files:

2. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

3. spring macrumors regular

Thanks for the link. Adds a nice touch. :)

4. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

Question: Is stacks just a short cut to your actual application folder? or is it a duplicate?

I would really like to have my stack of applications be only the applications I use regularly.

EDIT: Also I haven't used Terminal yet to make this work like the link shows you how to. I was wondering if you all could help me. I never use terminal. How exactly to I type up that command?

5. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

it's a shortcut

6. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Stacks are just a fancy of showing an alias, so to do what you want you would have to create a folder with those applications in and then drag that to the dock.

7. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

So if I create a folder of the specific applications I want is it not then making duplicates of my application? or is it just moving it out of my application folder? I just don't want to have double and take up more space on my computer.

8. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Just create the folder inside your applications folder then move then into that. Then drag that folder to the dock.

This won't duplicate them.

9. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

Oh ok that makes sense. Cool thanks.

Now does anyone know my Terminal question?

10. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Ok I've just done it on my system.

The process is this.

1. Download the icon and put it any stacks folder you want to be displayed like that.
    2. (Whenever you put a command into terminal do not put the quote marks)
      Then open up terminal and type "cd ~/Downloads" or it with the path to the folder in question. e.g. "cd /Applications" or "cd /Applications/unusedapplications" If there is a space in your path then you will have to put a \ before the space like this "cd /Applications/unused\ applications"
    3. Then paste this into terminal "touch -mt 202001010101.01 DownloadsIcon"
    4. To do another stack go back to step 2

11. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

Ok sounds simple enough. Everything works great until i get to "touch -mt 202001010101.01 DownloadsIcon" If I type this in I get a blank white document at the beginning of the stacks. I have changed the DownloadsIcon to Download and even \Download\ since there are spaces at the beginning and the end of the download icon tray.

Where am I going wrong?

EDIT: And if I change the icon to say DocumentsIcon and then paste "touch -mt 202001010101.01 DocumentsIcon" in to Terminal I don't get any result.

Attached Files:

12. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Just realised that i totally missed something.

When you expand DRAWERS_icon_#1.zip it is actually a folder with lots of icons in it. So open that and copy the respective files to their folder.

Then you should have the correct looking stack.

What is that downloadsicon file?

13. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

I did that. Can you, for a person still not truly understanding terminal, paste the commands I would use now with each individual icon into each stack?

14. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

This is what i did

cd /Applications
    touch -mt 202001010101.01 DownloadsIcon

cd ~/Downloads

cd /Users/xUKHCx/Documents/University/4th\ Year

To save you having to write out the path you can type in

cd

without pressing enter then drag and drop the folder you want into the terminal window and it will then complete the line for you and then press enter.

However you seem to have a file in your document stack that is called "downloadsicon" if you move this out of downloads then hopefully it will display properly.

15. macjack1 macrumors regular

macjack1

You can create stack icons rather simply using the <s> OS </s> GUI.

Just create a folder with whatever icon you like and name it "__foldername alias". But put the _, or double _ before it to make it the first folder.

[​IMG]

-mj

16. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

I deleted the file, but still no luck. I still either get nothing to happen, or I get a blank document to come up in the front...

17. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

That's pretty cool, but I like the tray icons better.

18. bloogersnigen macrumors regular

bloogersnigen

Screw Terminal

The best way i found to do it is to name it space (" ") and it will alphabetically put it as the first one. This also adds the benefit having it look like all the files going in and out of the drawer when you close and open a stack.

19. Mac OS X Ocelot macrumors 6502a

Mac OS X Ocelot

Personally, I don't see a problem with the way Stacks look now. I'd be more inconvenienced by the extra folder I'd have to create for all of these "fixes" being in the stack than by the way the stack looks now.

20. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

mj - where did you get that applications icon?

-Kevin

21. REBELinBLUE macrumors regular

The reason it isn't working is because the file isn't called DownloadsIcon

the icon for Downloads is just called Download, but with spaces so you need to do

cd ~/Downloads
    touch -mt 202001010101.01 " Download "

That is why you are getting a blank file called DownloadsIcon, because the touch command creates the supplied file if it doesn't exist.

You don't need to touch the icons for other stacks unless you have them sorted by modified date also. However there is a problem with this whole thing...

If you have it set to date modified rather than date added the download stack won't work correctly. Safari saves the file with the modified date the server sends in the header, and so the latest download won't always appear at the front (or just behind the tray icon). For example I just downloaded PhpDocumentor which has a last modified date of "Monday, 23 July 2007" and so it doesn't appear in the downloads stack fan view at all because it is older than other downloads. :( Can't seem to find a way to set the "added" date on the icon rather than the modified date, I'm assuming this is some HFS attribute as I don't think the touch command can do that

22. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

Jesus Christ, is it really this much trouble to get Stacks to make sense?

23. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

Why even mess with terminal?? There is an easy, obvious way if you dont mind having an extra icon hanging around in your downloads/documents/apps folder.

1) for documents, put the document drawer in the docs folder. Re-name it 0.app

2) for apps, create a new folder in your apps folder titled A. Change the default, plain blue folder icon to the apps drawer icon

3) for downloads, set the download drawer in the download folder. Re-name it 0.app

Have all stacks sorted by name.

I personally wish Apple would allow a static icon of our choice for the stacks. I hated having 2 address book icons on my dock.

24. cavemonkey50 macrumors 6502

Yeah, if anyone knows how to modify the Date Added values, I would love to know also. I'm currently making due with sorting by Date Modified, but really would prefer sorting by Date Added.