[a little OT] Recourse for unwanted calls?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by savar, Sep 5, 2008.

1. savar macrumors 68000

savar

This is a little off-topic, but I switched my service over from Verizon to get an iPhone. When I had my verizon service, there was a period about a year ago when I would receive unwanted calls from a random number.

If I answered the phone, I would either hear silence or a series of tones, and then get disconnected. If I call the number back, I get a message saying:

These calls would occur several times per day on average, usually precisely at 20 minute intervals, and generally in the morning, e.g.: 8:00 AM, 8:20 AM, 8:40 AM, etc.

I called Verizon but they said there was nothing they could do about it, so I eventually put this number (it's 703-243-8770, by the way) into my contacts under "Blocked" so that I could assign it a no-ring and ignore it. Over time the frequency of the calls dropped off until I forgot about it.

A few days ago I switch my service over to AT&T at the apple store so I could keep my number with my new iphone. All of a sudden this number came back to life... I'm getting dozens of calls per day.

I discovered SmartLimits while searching the forums here, so I went ahead and signed up for that. But it's annoying to pay $5 a month just to prevent some weird [computer?] system from harassing me.

So here's my question: Do I have any recourse? Can I look up the phone number somewhere, find out who operates it, and send them some kind of legal notice telling them to stop?

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Call up at&t, as this is considered Harrassment, and the FCC and FTC look down on it. If at&t can't/won't help you, file a complaint with the FTC and FCC.

TEG