A little story about AMAZING APPLE CUSTOMER CARE!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nimski62, Mar 9, 2010.

1. nimski62 macrumors regular

My Penryn 15" old body MBP got super hot and melted the magsafe adaptor with smoke and the whole 9 yards.. OUT OF WARRANTY!.. except it burnt my wind-breakers and melted them.. And the laptop refused to turn on after this incident. Sent pics to apple via email to the sr. tech, and he said to take it to the apple store (2 hours away from me) and they will take care of me.

The genius held it, and confirmed the battery was leaking internally due to electric surge (faulty adaptor) by smelling it.. and he said he would send the macbook pro out and fix it for free.... EXCEPT the Tech on the phone told me they would take care of the problem in the store (documented on the apple computers).. so I got hold of him over the phone with his extension number and he talked to the store manager and they agreed to give me a BRAND NEW 15" unibody 2.8/500/4gb/ANTIGLARE/512-9600!!! they didn't even take the retail packaging, handed me a brand new $2349 in the store. This is 1yr 2months after ownership, NO apple care.

Story goes on: 2 weeks later I was going to use my verizon express broadband card and guess what? NO EXPRESS CARD SLOT!!! I was infuriated. I called apple once again and got transfered to Customer Relations. Customer relations called me back in 2 days and told me I can have a brand new 17" Macbook pro due to that one is the only one with an express slot. I was super excited.
    ... until I had 3 faulty ones (yellow screens, broken backlit keyboard, sent Glossy instead of AG!!)
    .. I was visiting houston and I had my third macbook pro 17" with me (im from indiana)

Walked into the Apple store at the Galleria Mall and they replaced it ONE more time and it was faulty also (hard drive was clicking like crazy) I went back from my hotel and talked to the manager who so graciously agreed to give me store credit (gift card) of the full price of the macbook pro + tax...= $2705.00
    I paid 1249+tax when the first gen unibody got released for my old Penryn MBP 15" in my college book store.

I now PATIENTLY await the arrandale 15" (will get the 1999 model) and an ipad wifi for FREE with the remaining sum.

THANK YOU APPLE!.

2. Perrumpo macrumors 68000

Perrumpo

That's pretty crazy. Similarly, my refurb 15" uMBP has been repaired four times in the past month and was still having problems. Now Apple is replacing it with a brand new (not refurb) 17" because of the ExpressCard slot.

3. topgun072003 macrumors 6502

topgun072003

Nice dude. I'm sorry you've had such bad luck with your other computers though. It seems that it has worked out in your favor though! :D

4. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

so they gave you a new laptop because your old one, which they replaced for a last generation one, didn't have an expresscard slot, just like all the other ones like it?

thats absolutely amazing.

so guys...i can take a 15" to an apple store because i don't like the fact that it doesn't have an expresscard slot, and get a 17" for free?!?! pretty damn good...

5. Apple.MBPro macrumors member

WOW! :cool: I am really happy that it all worked out for you. If a faulty magsafe adapter ruins the MBP (Apple smells not just the burnt magsafe adapter but a possible lawsuit going their way as well :D) they are on their best behavior and will try to fix the situation with the best possible Apple Customer care. :)

6. robfromabove macrumors regular

Wow, that's awesome. Even still, I intend on getting the 3 yr. AppleCare when the new MBP's arrive (I think you just got super lucky). :p

7. hypermog macrumors regular

Um, to me there's a difference between receiving good care and taking them for $1400 profit

8. paintballswimgu macrumors 6502

My 15 in SR mbp has a major clicking problem with the harddrive and a few other issues. I've already spoken to apple customer relations and they told me that when i send it in to get fixed they will send me a new replacement mbp. (i've had 2 faulty logic boards, on my 3rd hard drive, 1 replacement superdrive, 3 replacement left in out boards, and the list goes on).

Is it worth begging for the 17 in antiglare model. I should already get the medium level 15 unibody because of the discrete graphics, But should i make a big deal about the express card slot?

That, and do i really want to carry a 17 in. laptop around?

9. nimski62 thread starter macrumors regular

There are always a few haters. Say what you have to say to get it out. Thanks for the input..

10. paintballswimgu macrumors 6502

everyone who's never used their applecare is always a hater. But when you need it, its amazing. I'm an applecare lover.

When they mailed you, your original computer, does it include any kind of invoice, that can be used at the apple store, for an exchange if the 17 in. doesn't work out?

11. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

There should be some sort of documentation if not an exact invoice. If the replacement was handled over the phone, iLog should contain the information/case no. relating to his previous problem with his old MacBook Pro. Usually if there is a exchange because of defects, that would also over the phone but there have been times where the store would handle the exchange.

12. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

Same. I'm not hating on your "good" fortune...just thinking that you got 3 replacements from your old body mbp...profiting $1400 in the aftermath...any guilty conscience?

**anyways, I guess this type of situation would work out for most individuals.

13. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

He had four replacements because he first off got a $2349 15". But that was not a suitable replacement, then he had to open up three 17"s.

I mean I think it was the right thing to do to replace your notebook because the charger melted your clothing and ruined your notebook, but give me a break on 3 17" notebooks then a $2700 credit.

The majority of people would be content that they got a brand new and upgraded computer.

Still I am glad they made you happy; its always good to hear experiences like that no matter the circumstances.

14. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

I'll be sure to keep the express card slot excuse for when my Penryn 15" breaks down. Just kidding. I hope this machine doesn't break. I'm partial to the
    Powerbook look. Great story and customer care, but it doesn't speak too well of Apple's quality control.

15. Pachang macrumors regular

Wow someone is actually getting an iPad!

16. HimeNoHogosha macrumors newbie

I think it's sad that this is what is considered good 'customer care' nowadays. There aren't many stories of 'I took it into the store and they fixed it for me', seems like everybody just praises the company that keeps replacing your broken product with new ones until you finally get one that works. Maybe this is more of a gripe over product quality rather than customer care quality. Either way, at least they did give you something for your broken hardware.

17. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Ditto. I will still keep the ExpressCard slot hint in mind just in case. :)