A little story about the...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by markusberger, Jan 15, 2017.

1. markusberger, Jan 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2017

markusberger macrumors member

http://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/macbook-pro?product=MJLQ2LL/A&step=config#

[​IMG]

2.2GHz Processor
    256GB Storage

• 2.2GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor
    • Turbo Boost up to 3.4GHz
    • 16GB 1600MHz memory
    • 256GB PCIe-based SSD1
    • Intel Iris Pro Graphics
    • Two Thunderbolt 2 ports
    $1,999.00

This one. For some random reason I decided I should try the current (not the 2016 redesign) MBP - I expected a perfected classic. The last of its kind MBP with ports and so forth.

I was and still am confused. For a device that costs 2 grand, i find it quite the disappointment. Check this out:

https://browser.primatelabs.com/user/67403

Ohne Titel.jpeg

I mean my 2011 17 inch MBP feels (with discrete graphics enabled) much snappier than the 2015 MBP.

SSD speeds are quite decent though:

2015 MBP 15 in
    IMG_0098.jpg

Hackintosh with Samsung m.2 nvme 950 pro
    IMG_0096.jpg

Macbook Air 11 inch 2015 i7
    IMG_0095.jpg

And now to the graphic scores:

Ohne Titel2.jpeg

I really don't get it: the graphic scores of the 2015 MBP are excellent - nonetheless Sierra "feels" choppy. Whats up with that?

Also, after indexing and icloud sync are done, I'm getting around 5h moderate use.

Obviously the Retina display has more pixels, thus more work for the Iris Pro - but still, Sierra shouldn't feel slow. That's redonkulous!

I'm really not sure what to think of this whole thing? ideas anyone?

2. aevan macrumors 68000

aevan

Sierra is very snappy on all Retina MBPs, and you should get more than 5h moderate use. Reinstall macOS? Take it to Apple Store/Service Provider?

What do you mean by "choppy"? What feels choppy, exactly? A 2011 MBP should not feel snappier.

3. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Unless you need Sierra specifically you can try 10.11 El Capitan, it may offer better performance on battery & GUI. I considered the same model, however it`s a lot of pixels for the iGPU to push depending on the usage. As suggested a clean install of Sierra is also worth investigating.

Q-6

4. markusberger thread starter macrumors member

thanks guys, I'll give reinstalling Sierra a try. I'll make a video on what I mean by "choppy".

5. doitdada macrumors 6502a

doitdada

Could you please share the choppy experience you mentioned?