A little suggestion for Maps

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Frankied22, Apr 28, 2014.

1. Frankied22 macrumors 68000

Frankied22

Apple should make it possible to zoom in and out with one hand in maps. In Google Maps you can tap once, then tap again and hold and slide up or down with your finger to zoom in and out. It's great.

2. Xenc macrumors 6502a

Xenc

That would be cool. Right now it's limited to two finger tap or pinch, both of which are difficult to do one handed!

3. campyguy macrumors 68030

No, Apple Maps isn't limited as you're describing. While I agree I like the navigation that GMaps and Mapquest use, I also like the navigation that AMaps on iOS and OS X use. Apple actually does make their apps easy to navigate with one hand...

I use a Magic Trackpad and a trackpad on my rMBP - single-finger double-tap to zoom-in and double-finger double-tap to zoom-out work exactly as they do on my iOS devices (iPhone and iPads).

What I want - these developers to publish how to navigate around their own applications, and users to actually try out the apps before they gripe/whine about them.

4. Xenc macrumors 6502a

Xenc

You literally described what I described, expect nobody uses a trackpad with their iPhone...

5. Frankied22 thread starter macrumors 68000

Frankied22

It's kind of hard to double tap with two fingers with the same hand you're holding the iPhone in.

6. Apple blogger macrumors 6502a

Umm...he is talking about double tapping with 1 finger on the iphone which makes it zoom...

7. Frankied22 thread starter macrumors 68000

Frankied22

A little suggestion for Maps

I realize he's talking about double tapping with one finger to zoom in, but he also mentioned you can double tap with two fingers on OSX Maps to zoom out. This also works on iOS. I'm just saying that is not very convenient to do with one hand while holding the iPhone with that one hand. Googles solution is rather nice because you can do it with just your thumb. You double tap and hold then slide up or down to zoom in or out.

8. luckydcxx macrumors 65816

luckydcxx

i think it would be great if you could zoom all the way out during the navigation to see the entire route (and what's ahead) like google maps.

9. campyguy, Apr 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2014

campyguy macrumors 68030

Not a problem with me. The iPhone's either in a mount or on a desk when I use it. You didn't designate further restrictions for navigating the Apple Maps interface in your OP.

10. GoSh4rks macrumors 6502

Why do you even bother replying? The Google Maps double tap zoom is a great feature for one handed use.

11. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

I would really appreciate the google maps way system wide.

12. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

Nice, didn't know about the google maps trick, thanks. Would be great to see this in apple maps.

13. webexplorer macrumors newbie

Apple Magic mouse's zoom in and out for maps too fast

My Apple Magic mouse is too sensitive to zoom in and out on the maps too fast especially Google maps using the Safari browser. I tried to find a way to slow the zoom which is not successful. I think that Apple and Google teams should to fix this software issue.

14. C DM macrumors Westmere

Perhaps, but this is all really more about the iOS experience when it comes to maps.

15. joejoejoe macrumors 65816

Apple maps is not easy to navigate with one hand.

----------

It's really annoying. People have a legitimate issue, and fanboys shun them for making a complaint about Apple. The OP was referencing the experience on an iPhone. Your comment about the trackpad etc is irrelevant (although not to mention that the trackpad is something you have to either select or buy later, it does not come standard for any desktop mac).

Trying to zoom in and out of Apple maps with one hand is not as easy as doing so in Google maps. There is no way around this, no matter how much you love Apple. Sorry, bud.

----------

You can, although you have to select "overview" i think while you're navigating. Not a very intuitive implementation, lots of people don't realize that's how it works.

16. cynics macrumors G3

I believe Googles double tap then slide to zoom was an answer to a potential patent infringement law suit from Apple.

It's funny because I find it vastly superior on a phone especially one handed. Like mentioned I wish it was system wide.

17. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

I didn't know GMaps could do that! It's really nice. I agree it would be nice system wide. It's unobtrusive and you don't have to use it unless you want to. I think it's a great touchscreen gesture innovation.

18. ATC macrumors 6502a

This is just one of many, many things that make Google Maps on iOS vastly superior to Apple Maps. The lack of real meaningful progress on Apple's part to improve this vital application is a real shame. I'm still holding out hope that maybe they'll surprise us in iOS8 on this front. :cool:

19. grockk macrumors 6502

grockk

I like the existing way now. if you need to zoom, you double tap. to zoom out you resume route or redo the search. no real use case for zoom out one handed.

20. C DM macrumors Westmere

What would be the downside of having that in addition to having what's there now?

21. CPx macrumors 6502

No real use case? Seriously?

22. grockk macrumors 6502

grockk

I'm assuming you are using one hand because you are walking, driving or biking on a route.

If you go to the overview and zoom in on some part of your route, just hit "Resume" then hit "Overview" and it zooms back out to show you the whole route all over again.

23. CPx macrumors 6502

That's a good tip and I might use it, but it's limited. Double-tap and drag would cover many more situations, including when you do not have a route engaged. Happens to me a lot when I want to see where I am and where I'm going, but I don't necessarily need help navigating.