A London Bikers notes on CoPilot vs TomTom vs MotionGPS

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dazey, Aug 18, 2009.

1. dazey macrumors 6502

I have been having a play with the new TomTom and a few notes Londoners might find useful:

I ride motorbikes and previously I had been using motion GPS. This just sits in a tank pocket and gives me an arrow direction of where to go. In London it works quite well. The GPS of motionGPS is great, it has evolved over time and gets and keeps gps lock well, falling back to triangulation where it needs to. In London it often does not matter which road you take as long as you head the right way and straight line navigation often skips big roads. It is also a relatively low power app.

I bought Copilot to try on some car journeys. Its routing in London is awful, I could not persuade it to avoid congested and major roads.
    I have been trying out Tom Tom and its routing is excellent and picks routes similar to those I would take (on journeys I know well)

I have not been that impressed with GPS handling of either TT or copilot so far. Neither seem to be up to the level of google maps or motionGPS (which of course have been around some time)

TomTom's coding seems to be awful though. Using backgrounder to hide it and top to check processor usage, TomTom is coming in about 80% on a 3GS! Copilot is more like 35% Motionx around 15%. For those of us running off batteries this is a bit of a problem! I hope they are going to sort this out in time.

TomTom interface seems ok but not as customisable as CoPilot which is a shame.

I hope TomTom sort out their optimisation, for now I think I am back to motionGPS for town navigation. Hopefully the notes will be of interest to some.

2. vinay427 macrumors 6502a

vinay427

I'm not a Londoner, although I visited there a few days ago, but great review! I think that TT will become cheaper, more reliable, and less resource hungry with updates, not to mention bug fixes, if there are any. A big company like that will have the resources to make a great app.