A Look at Band for the iPhone

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 20, 2008.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Arstechnica posts an in-depth look at the $9.99 iPhone App, Band [App Store], by Moo Cow Music.

The app was amongst the featured applications demoed at this year's WWDC. A Youtube Video provided by the developer shows its capabilities.

Ars put the app through its paces and was impressed by the built in functionality beyond basic instrument play:
    Still despite all this, they note that you are unable to export your creations outside of the iPhone short of connecting to the headphone jack.

Article Link

2. xamkil83 macrumors member

This app is a great one but I would love to have the ability to export my creations to Garage Band of even save them as a Ringtone on the iPhone. Mabie these features will come in an update to the app.

3. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

It makes me sad that he's charging $10 for this...

4. hexonxonx macrumors 601

why? Deveoper should be able to earn some money.

5. xamkil83 macrumors member

I completely agree with you. He worked hard, and created a really cool app. 10$ is a fair price in my opinion.

6. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

It's a shame you can't export your tracks though, considering all that power the app has.

7. futherout macrumors newbie

yea, it is. But it has been free for jailbreakers. (and still is)

8. macduke macrumors G4

macduke

Just buy a $2 male to male stereo jack, connect it to your line-in jack, and record away. Easy as pie. It's just not as convenient as syncing.

Most of these apps involving sound seem to not be able to export the audio files. My guess is that for this program, it is just a simple set of on / off switches turning on different audio track files at certain times. They would need to build in an encoder. Same is true for voice recording programs...I think there is like a core audio format that most of them are in that isn't useful to most people unless it is encoded. That could end up being a battery hog on the iPhone for all we know. It will be interesting to see how this turns out, but I could see companion apps being released that do all the encoding on the connected computer. It might not be as elegant but it may end up being more practical. I hope I'm wrong though. Maybe the h.264 chip on the iPhone can do it on the fly. That would be neat. Is access to that available in the SDK?

9. macduke macrumors G4

macduke

I must also say that I have downloaded this app and love it. Everyone who has seen it has been amazed that my iPhone is now a musical instrument. This app definitely has a high "wow" factor and I show it off all the time. So does Sketches...I've made some pretty crazy drawings, although I ended up losing a lot of them when I did a restore the other night. My girlfriend's nieces and nephews love both those apps, along with the Crash Bandicoot racing game. I got a rugged case for the 3g so I actually let kids play with it now. Just not near the pool! Kills my battery life though. I now carry the charger in my pocket. Sad.

10. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

Certainly easy, but D > A > D is always a shame! It'd be sweet if you exported the song to the iPod on the phone which synced back to iTunes like purchased music does. Maybe limitations in the SDK stopped them doing this.

11. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

Beatmaker gets around that by allowing you to upload your stuff wirelessly. I would think that Band would have to do the same thing.

12. starcrossed macrumors regular

Remember technically the developer is only charging $6.99. When people complain about the price of the app they have to make sure and remember the 30% Apple keeps all for themselves to do what they need to run the store.

13. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

The youtube video is gone. Anyone got a mirror?

EDIT: it seems to be back now.

14. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

Here's hoping this comes in a future update. I've been considering this app since they announced it, and have been on the verge of buying it since App Store launch. But the inability to export the songs you make has stopped me, for now (not interested in more complicated workarounds).

15. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

It sucks that there are no demo's but Beatmaker, IMHO, is better. Yes it cost more, but you get a full sequencer, and if you are musically inclined you can actually add your own samples to the pads.

16. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

I'm sure it's better/more advanced, but I'm not looking to make serious music. It's just more for fun. Visually, BAND looks more appealing to me, and at $10 it's a pretty decent price point for just playing around. I'm sure if I wanted to be more serious about my music-making, I'd be all over Beatmaker, which looks like a really impressive app from what I've seen/heard.

17. baslotto macrumors regular

In the video the last guitar solo alone is worth $10! Great app!
    :D

18. gcmexico macrumors 6502a

gcmexico

very cool app...can't wait for the first band to hit it big creating tracks on the iphone!!!

19. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

if only you could export what you make into garageband

20. sanford macrumors 65816

is there anything, even one of the voice memo recorders, that will make a high-quality recording (relatively speaking; I mean good enough) from the headphone mic using a mono or stereo 3.5mm line-in (result being mono, which is fine, and of course that's all the iPhone mic in supports, I think) and then export that as a .mov or .aif file, or even a high bit-rate MP3 or AAC, rather than having to just line-out into a FireWire audio interface on a Mac? what i really need is less a "portable GarageBand" and more a portable recorder for something like my Korg KAOSSILATOR, which stores loops, but has no USB audio out, or any sort of removable memory card, and the contents of a KAOSSILATOR's memory does not survive across power cycle. Meaning if you're out somewhere with the Korg, you have to leave it on, make sure it stays on, and hope the batteries last, until you can get home to the Mac, the FW audio interface and the DAW (or plain, old QuickTime Pro, for that matter).

I can buy a decent field recorder, but then again I wouldn't mind saving $300, either. I can get a Sony, or whatever brand, device with decent quality, memory card support, etc., intended mostly for voice memos, dictation, recording meetings, but will support line-in. But for decent quality that's still $80 - 100 when an app for the iPhone may be just be $10 or less.

21. dwman macrumors 6502

dwman

Just downloaded this for the sale price. What a great app and a steal at $2. I personally wouldn't have purchased at $10, but if you give it long enough, these apps will come down in price. Cro-Mag Rally is a perfect example. Started out at $9.99, came down to $5.99, now sells for $1.99.