A lot of glitches compare to windows

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by iNeedToDoHw, Aug 28, 2011.

1. iNeedToDoHw macrumors regular

Sometimes I find a lot of little glitches on my lion. Has this been a problem in mac or just this version of lion? I have never had any problem using windows before but using lion is just time consuming sometimes...

Is anyone having a same problem?

Ex.
    1. When using an expose and one of your windows is large, it'll cover the entire page.
    2. zooming-in in a browser is not smooth like in an iphone
    3. I don't undersand the green button.. maybe it's just me...
    4. sometimes 2 finger click doesn't work
    5. mac word just freaks out sometimes
    6. sometimes i have to restart this damn thing to get this working properly...
    7. I don't know how to delete a 2nd desktop in an expose

Hopefully, this is just a problem with a lion that apple will fix quickly.

I love my mac but some of these problems just make my life too difficult

2. Oppressed macrumors 65816

Oppressed

1. I'm not quite following.
    2. Mine is smooth, and to be honest my iPhone lags. (iPhone 4)
    3. It switches to an alternate window size that you actually specify. Click and drag on a corner to expand it and the green button will remember this size.
    4. Tap is so much better.
    5. Details?
    6. What thing? If you mean the computer in general, what program is causing the computer to act up.
    7. Hold your mouse over the second desktop for a couple of seconds.

3. dread macrumors 6502a

I am having to same issues. What is tap? The two finger click is very annoying. Sometimes it takes five seconds to show up

4. Oppressed macrumors 65816

Oppressed

Do you tap to click or click to click? Enabling tap to click makes two finger clicking easier.

5. aristobrat macrumors G4

The green button resizes the window to however big whoever wrote the app thought it should be (when a user clicks the green button).

In Mission Control, point your mouse at the desktop you want to delete, wait a second for the X to appear, and then click it.

Attached Files:

6. iNeedToDoHw thread starter macrumors regular

I do both and sometimes it doesn't work

7. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

1. i don't use expose so I'm not sure about this.
    2. its smooth on mine
    3. yeah, i thought it would do a full screen window too, it seems to just stretch it out so you don't have to scroll left or right.
    4. it works fine on mine
    5. don't have word yet, making do with pages for now.
    6. i have had to restart or force quit more than i did with windows 7.
    7. again, i don't use this feature either.

8. KPOM macrumors G5

Some things are different in OS X. That said, Lion is brand new, changed some things around even for those of us familiar with OS X, and has some bugs that need to be worked out. Give it some time to unlearn some habits and for Apple to release some fixes for Lion.

That said:

4) You can go into System Preferences and replace the two-finger click (for the right mouse button) with a click on the right hand side of the trackpad. That said, it always works for me. Make sure you have two fingers on the trackpad at the time you click. You can click with a single finger - just keep both on the trackpad.

5) Please explain. Is it Word 2011 or 2008? Note that there are some bugs that Microsoft is working through, particularly with 2008, but they should work for general functions.

6) You shouldn't need to restart OS X very often (and certainly not as often as Windows). Note that Safari is a known memory hog. It helps to shut down Safari if it acts up. When you restart it, all your tabs will reopen automatically. If it's something else acting up, let us know.

7) Hold the cursor over the desktop and then a delete button will appear on the upper left.

9. bwhinnen macrumors 6502

With respect to the 'two finger click' for right mouse button regardless of whether you have tap to click on or not if you have "Smart Zoom" enabled with a double two finger tap then the two finger click for right mouse button will be delayed as it is waiting to see if you do another two finger tap for the smart zoom.

Unless you specifically use smart zoom I recommend you turn it off for sanity's sake :)

10. iNeedToDoHw thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry, I meant Mission control...

If you don't use this feature, then how do you switch between apps? Do you just use tab command? without the start bar in the bottom like windows, it's hard to know what apps are on and switch...

----------

Thanks for the detailed info.
    I'm using word 2008 and chrome.
    Zooming is a nightmare in chrome.. but i think that is expected since they haven't even figured out the ful screen yet. However, even in safari, on a bookmark bar, try clicking on one of your folder and 2 finger touch the website in the folder. I don't get the option like i do with the right click with a windows mouse.
    Also with safari, there seems to be a glitch with closing the tabs. sometimes i don't see an "x" mark and have to go to another tab and come back to the current tab to be able to close it. This is the main reason why i switched to chrome even when i really like the improved gesture feature in safari.
    Also in word 2008, of course I can't list all the problems i'm having, but one main thing is that I can't highlight a page without a delay or trying couple times.

11. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

I use something called hyper dock, it makes it to when you hover your mouse over the icons in the dock, it gives you a preview of that window, like it does in windows 7. Only thing lacking is in safari if you have multiple tabs open, it won't show each one, but if you have multiple safari windows open, then it does show you multiple pages. you can get in the app store or do a google search to download directly from the developer. I think you get more features if you download from the developer. Also, there are blue lights under the program icon if its running.

12. iNeedToDoHw thread starter macrumors regular

I was really excited to try this out until i saw the buy sign... (sigh) it seems like most programs for osx costs money

Thanks for the information though!

13. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

Switchers? Undo your Windows habit first, don't fight with the software. Go with it.

14. iNeedToDoHw thread starter macrumors regular

sounds like a good advice

15. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

you can download a free trial from the developers website.

http://hyperdock.bahoom.com/

16. iphonsteve4ajob macrumors regular

Anything worth buying costs money. Sure there are many great free apps and utilities, but paying for something which works well and that someone has put a great deal of time into creating is well worth it.

17. KPOM macrumors G5

Word 2011 has fewer issues with Lion than Word 2008. That said, Microsoft is promising updates for both, though they haven't said when they will be available. The issue is that Office 2008 has some PowerPC code that no longer runs in Lion.

I haven't experienced the Safari glitch you are describing. When you hover over a tab, the X should appear. Note that Command-W will also close the active tab.

Try Chrome Canary. I don't use Chrome itself, but have used Canary (effectively a beta) without any issues that I know of.

Did you migrate software from another Mac, or did you install everything brand new?

18. Bob Coxner macrumors 6502a

It's just that we Windows veterans are accustomed to free apps/programs that are as powerful or better than paid ones.

One other thing that bugs me is the price difference between the same program for the iPad vs Mac. Pages, for example, is $9.99 for the iPad but $19.99 for the Mac. I know that Garageband is included with Lion (on new Macs) but to buy it is $4.99 on the iPad and $14.99 on the Mac. There are many more examples.

19. deeddawg macrumors 604

Could you discuss how this compares to using the Expose in Lion (F3)? It seem like the functionality is pretty similar?

20. iphonsteve4ajob macrumors regular

Understandable, but the cost is not prohibitive to ownership. It is a waste of time to purchase an Apple product and be stuck in a PC mindset. Yes, pound for pound we pay more for our Airs (in this case) than a PC laptop slapped together w/ no design or aesthetic considerations and sold at the nearest Best Buy on sale for 699.00. But we gain much more in trade for the slight premium in price.

Pages on Mac vs iPad? The only thing I considered when purchasing Pages, Keynote, & Numbers (knowing full well that I could do it separately for $20 per program-Office 2011 good luck) is that it cost me $60...total. Now without going into a whole Office vs iWork valuation argument, my point is that software is readily available and cost effective.

Sometimes we pay more (buying an MBAir), sometimes we pay less (installing iStat, coconut battery, Daisy Disk ($10 Sale! in app store), but it all balances out in the end. It "is" a value based ownership.

21. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

I can't really say if it's better an expose or not, it's just what I've been used to after being only windows for so long. Basically you move your mouse over the dock and it shows you a small preview window of what program is running, if you hover the mouse over the preview it brings that window to the front to see, if you click it it will make that window active. It also gives you the option to close the windows from the preview screens and to open new windows as well.

22. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Office 2008, AFAIK, isn't supported on OS X Lion.

As for zooming on Chrome and gestures, the app developers will have to fix the issues - it's implemented by the app, not by the OS (though the authors are given APIs to implement such functionality if they choose).

The Safari tab bug you mentioned I've seen once myself. I presume this is something Apple will get after in a forthcoming update.