Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Adelphos33

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 13, 2012
I’m seeing a lot of people post things like ”I am disappointed in the Magic Keyboard because it makes it hard too use it in tablet mode, which is how I usually use an iPad“ or “It makes the iPad too heavy, I like holding it one hand,” or “The iPad is mainly a drawing device for me” or some other variant...

1) If you don’t want a study keyboard case, simply don’t buy the product. The Smart Keyboard folio may be better for you

2) If you are primarily using the iPad in tablet mode... you should either simply ignore most of the keyboard solutions, or better yet, go with the excellent iPad Air or iPad 7th Generation tablets. These tablets provide an excellent tablet experience at a fraction of the price and weight. I may get one myself as a companion “tablet“ to my iPad 12.9”

perezr10

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
I don’t know. A lot of Pro users use the Pro over a MacBook cuz they use their iPad as a notebook with their Apple Pencil. For some reason, almost everyone prefers writing in their iPad in portrait mode.

I think they just need to learn to separate their IPad from their keyboard. After all, that is the advantage over a MacBook. The problem is, a lot of people get nervous if they don’t have a case. These people need a case more like the Combo Touch. There needs to be a version for the current iPad Pro.

AdamNC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2018
Leland NC
I totally understand your point of view. But at the same time I know I am not using my 2020 iPad Pro nowhere near it’s full potential.I love it any wats. I also know I have a device that should last 4 maybe 5 years if I don’t abuse it. Hell my elderly neighbor still has her 1st gen iPad she uses strictly for book and newspaper reading. Love my iPad Pro. My wife loves hers also. Hers is the 1st gen 11in Pro we got 2 months ago. And I just bought my son a 3rd gen iPad Air today. All the iPads are incredible in their own rights.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Almost everyone? I have seen a ton of people who also write in landscape mode.

Well said - that’s what happens when you try to summarize the use case of millions of people into one general statement as if they were all the same.

Reactions: kazmac

georgivelev

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2011
Today I connected my bluetooth mac mini keyboard to the iPad Pro and put the tablet on my €10 Ikea stand. A solution costing a fourth of the price of the magic keyboard. And I can use the keyboard with both of my devices. And I can use the magic mouse from my old iMac.

There’a a logic behind writing on an iPad 13” in portrait mode - because the size of the tablet is very close to that of an A4 piece of sheet. I guess there aren’t many people who create documents on a A4 sheet in landscape mode, seems illogical.

The possibility to rotate the tablet whichever way is one of the advantages of the device. Try that with your macbook or your iMac.

ecschwarz

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2010
It's hard to say what the best possible device for each user is, but I will say that Apple is offering a lot of great choices at different price points.

My personal iPad is now a 7th-gen with a Smart Keyboard (box said it was for a 10.5" Pro, so I snagged it cheap) and a Logitech Crayon. I've joked that it's the iPad "Semi-Pro" since it has all the accessories, but was significantly cheaper. For what I need, its SoC and capabilities are enough and if I eventually upgrade years from now, it will probably go to a family member (my 5th-gen is going to a family member who had an original iPad Air).

On the other end of the spectrum, my work iPad Pro is my primary computer for my day job—it's a 2018 12.9" model with a Smart Keyboard and Apple Pencil. I can appreciate how it's nicer in many ways, so I can also see the appeal of the Pros for people that may not need the horsepower.

Currently, both are on my desk at home in stands and I'm sharing a Logitech K380 between them and each has a separate pointing device. The Pro is in landscape on one side of the desk, while the 7th-gen is in portrait and I can mix work with "socially loafing" and media. In any case, the magnetically-attachable keyboards are fairly easily ripped off if I want a handheld tablet experience.

harriska2

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
My son doesn’t use any portion of the pro but we just got him the 11” instead of the air 3 because: bigger screen, 2x more memory, 2x more storage, better pencil if he chooses to get one in the future, better camera - all for $300 more but worth it because he hangs onto them for 4-5 yrs.

Reactions: elite953

kamikazeeMC

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2017
Perth, Western Australia
Wow. While the Air is an excellent device if your needs and wants don't benefit from going the pro, saying because I use it mostly as a tablet I shouldn't be getting the pro. PepeLaugh..

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
I'll use whatever tf I like and will complain about whatever tf I want.
Seriously. I can afford it and I want the best and honestly it looks futuristic. And I like to complain what more can I say. Home button is ugly the fore head and chin is ugly lol. I know I’m gonna get disliked here but I like how the pro look.

Reactions: Jack Neill

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Telling people what they should buy? Get out of here with that...

how about many want the up to date and fastest device? You still need a fast device to use as a laptop replacement.

I also wouldn’t say the magic keyboard was made for tablet first users. It’s another option for those who want to use it like a laptop.

Carole F Baskin

Suspended
Apr 22, 2020
Today I connected my bluetooth mac mini keyboard to the iPad Pro and put the tablet on my €10 Ikea stand. A solution costing a fourth of the price of the magic keyboard. And I can use the keyboard with both of my devices. And I can use the magic mouse from my old iMac.

There’a a logic behind writing on an iPad 13” in portrait mode - because the size of the tablet is very close to that of an A4 piece of sheet. I guess there aren’t many people who create documents on a A4 sheet in landscape mode, seems illogical.

The possibility to rotate the tablet whichever way is one of the advantages of the device. Try that with your macbook or your iMac.

I’m with ya on this one. I use Logi Keys-to-Go with my iPad+Smart Cover when I need to sit down and type tedious emails, paperwork etc. Then I chuck the keyboard at the wall and chill with iPad on the sofa. Cost me 40 bucks that.

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2014
I don’t know. A lot of Pro users use the Pro over a MacBook cuz they use their iPad as a notebook with their Apple Pencil. For some reason, almost everyone prefers writing in their iPad in portrait mode.

I think they just need to learn to separate their IPad from their keyboard. After all, that is the advantage over a MacBook. The problem is, a lot of people get nervous if they don’t have a case. These people need a case more like the Combo Touch. There needs to be a version for the current iPad Pro.

That Logitech Combo Touch looks nice. Row of shortcut buttons, backlighting, multiple angles of kickstand, and half the price of the Apple Magic keyboard.

Reactions: snipr125

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
I am on my 5th iPad since I got the original iPad on day one and just recently got the 7th generation and love it, should I have gotten the iPad Pro because I am not a first time tablet user?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.