A Mac, A Windows Comp & help required.....

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Mr.Noisy, Jan 27, 2008.

1. Mr.Noisy macrumors 65816

Mr.Noisy

....... Ok the wife has a Laptop running vista :( orrible thing,
    ok, the plan is, a friend is fitting a phone point next to the MP in my home office, from this i will be using modem/router via ethernet cable, but what the wife wants is also to share the connection wirelessly, so now the questions,
    1. will there be any problems sharing the connection with a windows pc :confused:
    2. which modem/router would be best or amongst the best for a wired and wireless connection :)

tar :D ;)

2. darthmullet macrumors member

One solution would be to install a wireless card in your MP and share over that (with a high-gain antenna if needed) while using a wired connection from a dsl/cable modem connected to your MP. I do this with my MBP occasionally.

3. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Any wireless router would do the trick. I wouldn't try sharing the connections, my gf's Vista didn't like that. But any wifi router should work.

4. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Please don't do this. It puts a requirement on the MP being powered on and doesn't really save you much money compared to some of the cheapo routers out ther.

That said, get yourself a decent wireless router. I'm an Apple fanboy, so I'd suggest an Airport Extreme :)