A Mac and a PC

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by harveypooka, Aug 11, 2007.

1. harveypooka macrumors 65816

I was hoping for something special on Tuesday, not just an iMac upgrade. I was disappointed. I've been looking to buy a PC as I'm tired of getting iMac's that I can't upgrade and I can't afford a Mac Pro.

However I can't not own a Mac...so I'm stuck. But how about this:

Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium
    Intel® Core™ 2 Quad Q6600 Processor (2.40GHz ,8MB L2 Cache, 1066MHz)
    Hybrid TV Tuner - Digital & Analogue
    Mainboard-nForce 650i SLI
    4GB Memory
    750GB Hard Disk capacity with 16MB buffer
    320MB nVIDIA 8800GTS Graphics-DX10
    22" Widescreen TFT LCD Display w/speakers
    LightScribe Super Format 18x DVD Writer
    Creative's SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
    T6100 - 5.1 Speakers + Subwoofer
    6 USB, 2x Firewire, GB LAN
    Multi-format Memory Card Reader
    Logitech Cordless KB & Optical Mouse
    2 Years On-site Warranty (Home Service)
    FREE Delivery

http://www.meshcomputers.com/Default.aspx?PAGE=PRODUCTVIEWPAGE&USG=PRODUCT&ENT=PRODUCT&KEY=224893

£1149.00

and:

Mac Mini (education price)

1.83GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    1GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM
    80GB Serial ATA drive

£374.83

For a total price of:

£1,423.83

Compared to the new, underpowered, un-upgradeable iMac that would be: £1,371.23. Unbelievable! Two computers for £60 more. Get a monitor and keyboard switch and you're set for a true Mac/PC existence...

Thoughts? Will the Mac market share really rise and games be released for the platform when you can get rigs like this?

2. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Apart from you'd then have 2 computers instead of 1 which isn't ideal for some people, I'd say go for it!

Although the desktop I imagine you might be able to get cheaper if you built it yourself. :)

3. cmvsm macrumors 6502a

cmvsm

You are also forgetting what the iMac is really about in the first place, and that is a smaller footprint and less clutter. You'll have one nice corded mess with two computers, especially the PC. Not to mention, you are spending lots of cash to simply play games. Spend half of that and just buy a Sony Play Station 3. The games are great, you can surf the internet wirelessly, and you can play Blue Ray DVD's. Then pick up an iMac and have the best of both worlds without the clutter.

4. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

^^^
    The OP wants an upgradeable computer, and upgradeable iMac is not. I guess if you tuck the Mac Mini under the monitor, it wouldn't be too much of a mess. Sometimes looks aren't what everyone's looking for. People buy Mac Pros, and they are huge and create clutter too.

5. blueicedj macrumors 6502

Don't go with PS3 if you were to go with a gaming system...As much as I know mac people probably hate microsoft, the xbox 360 is a much better choice. And think, you could get a Wii and an xbox 360 for the same price as a PS3! Besides the 360 has a lot more games.
    Anyways, back to your original post. I'd say if you're fine with a PC go for it. I've never heard of Mesh computers, maybe because I'm from the US, but the specs sound amazing for that price. Personally I find lightscribe completely useless...I got it on my current laptop...used it once and was very disappointed. All the discs look golden, and it really doesn't have a professional look at all. I'd just get a more powerful DVD burning drive.

6. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

Not entireley. Keyboard is plugged into the ACD, which has one cable to the tower. The only 'clutter' is the cables for the speakers :eek:

To the OP: You said you was waiting for something special, well, I dont know what you thought that would be. Im going to guess you havent had a Mac at all yet? So you're choice would probs be a good one for what you want. But if you find yourself in OS X more than windows, you'll have all that power going to waste

7. harveypooka thread starter macrumors 65816

You're right, I am spending a lot of money to play games - but I review them and hope, one day, to get some money from it! And it makes me happy to turn all the graphics on full!

It's funny though, actually looking at why I need a machine, do I need one? Do I really want one?

I'm also secretly hoping that if I make enough noise Apple will drop the price of the iMac to be more realistic and slap a cut down Mac Pro in their that'll suit me down to the ground.

I still feel though that Apple has a crap product lineup. They need a middle of the road machine.

8. harveypooka thread starter macrumors 65816

Hehe, been a Mac user for around twelve years! Apple need a better range to attract me and more customers. I can't afford a Mac Pro so the only one I can afford is the iMac, which sucks for what I need.

I'm starting a design course in September which uses some pretty beefy software so I'd enjoy the raw power a bit more and I can use it to play an assortment of games on MacOSX and in Windows.

I love OSX, love the software I have and love the community, but it's getting that I simply can't afford what I'd like from a Mac.

Bring back the days of clones, I say!

9. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

if only you said that from the start :p

the Mac Pro is a pricey machine, but have to admit that they do hold value over standard boxes.

Thought about a Quad G5 along with a windows tower? its more powerful than a Mini... :eek: but, I guess it depends on your OS X needs

10. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

mgargan1

not a bad looking machine. But again, are you buying a machine for the hardware or software?

11. swampfox macrumors newbie

I guess I know where you are coming from on the game issue. All I can say is go with a windows xp system since vista is really inificiant. (My vista system runs the prosesor at 20% just to do its little fancy stuff)

12. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

Oh that Vista garbage takes up 1GB idle... Good thing that Dell offers a free 2GB RAM upgrade or Dell wouldn't be selling **** to anybody. Apple's operating system doesn't need 1GB to function like it's suppose to. Glad I returned that Dell garbage...

13. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

*shudders* Vista :D

Not bad to get two computers for the price of one imac, but if you want upgradeability in a mac, why not just get a Powermac G4 or G5. It's a nice setup to have a windows PC and a mini, but you could get a nice G5 and a mini (to run windows) for the same if not less.

14. jmufellow macrumors regular

But where does one get this powermac G4 or G5?

15. Royale w/cheese macrumors 6502a

Well, it would depend on if you want new or used. There are quite a few reputable used dealers out there, if one were to look. Lowendmac.com has a deals section that has some of the best dealers with the best prices out there. I saw a G5 PM for $699 on there last week, but it was quite an early revision. I personally would just save for the refurb base Mac Pro.

16. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

OP, i just saw a refurb Mac Pro 2.66 for £1,449.00 in the Apple UK store. That's only £26 more than your PC and Mac mini combination. I think this is a better deal - a more powerful machine and less hassel.

17. Maccleduff macrumors regular

but did you factor in the cost of a monitor...that can easily add £200+ to the price. Then it doesn't look like such a better deal...

I know the OP wanted upgradeability, but just wondered if he considered the Macbook Pro, plenty of power, portability of laptop, could even throw in a monitor and it'd come in under £1500 depending on what spec you got. Just depends on how important and how often you think youll upgrade. I was in much the same position but after owned a pc for 3 years and only upgrading the ram once i decided a proper tower wasn't what I really needed, as I didnt really upgrade all that often.

18. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

I too wanted a complete all in one solution and am not willing to give up my games just to do it.

I sold my Macbook CD 2.0 and all my PCs and spare components except for one and bought a MBP 2.2.

I can play all the games I like (I only play RTS and I hate consoles) and still have my MBP wherever I travel.

The remaining AMD X2 6000+ based system sits idle most of the time (except when I want to run with all the options turned up on my 1600x1200 external Samsung 20 inch).

I've only had the MBP 2.2 for 2 weeks but can see eventually selling the PC. For most games the 8600M GT in the MBP is just fine and my old eyes can't always tell the difference anyway.

Besides, the MBP 2.2 is mobile and that's impotant when I want a little 3vs3 Company of Heroes with my kids and grandkids!

Go for both if you must but if you get a MBP you may find it's all you really need.

Cheers,

19. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

Or for £1449, you can get a refurbished quad 2.66GHz Mac Pro from Apple's UK refurb store. Only £26 more than the Mac mini and custom PC combination.

20. apinchofhope macrumors newbie

how about... save your money for a macbook pro? because games run amazing. even my mac-hating brother is jealous of my fps on WoW. and seriously... unless you've used vista and know you like it, stay the freaking hell away from it. it's terrible. I feel like I escaped the microsoft death-trap just in time.

21. Corrosive vinyl macrumors 6502

Corrosive vinyl

The mac mini is a great system, which I am fairly interested in myself. if it is just a "surf the web, play music" system, it will fit perfectly. that being said, how much will you be using the PC over the mac? it seems to me that the PC will be used more, because of the gaming. If you want a mac, get a mac, instead of a PC and a secondary system which you never really use. tell me if I am wrong, if I am, sorry.

22. aliquis- macrumors 6502a

No, macs won't get much notice as gaming machines because:

1) Small market
    2) Market is largly non-gamers
    3) Apple doesn't build machines which can handle games.
    4) People can dual boot.
    5) Apples drivers and Open GL suck and is slow.

I guess your idea is ok, but I know how I would solve it without the mini instead... Thought you will not get a 100% bumpless drive.

Regarding your computer I'd opt for a 20" ISP panel instead. Like the Nec 20WGX2Pro or similair.

23. apinchofhope macrumors newbie

That's pretty untrue, actually. I mean, sure, they're not specifically designed for gaming, but my mbp runs World of Warcraft freaking amazingly. FPS is beautiful, lag-free, etc. Runs better than my boyfriend's PC, which doesn't have top of the line stuff, but still pretty good, since he plays a lot of full-screen, graphics-heavy games.

24. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

People arent thinking of the future. A MBP may have a good video card by todays standards but it wont be so great in a year when you find youself having to lower detail levels to medium. And in 2 years? It will be virtually useless. If you want to keep playing games youll have to buy another MBP every 2 years. Its not that hard to buy a $250-300 video card every 2 years to keep up, but spending around $2000? To hell with that idea. Ram, processors, motherboards, hdd's, soundcards all last much longer than a video card, youd be throwing your money away if you kept buying a whole new computer just because the video card needs replacing. Its extremely important for gamers to have an upgradable computer because it saves thousands of dollars in the long run, I dont know what the hell Apple's problem is by not giving us that option.

25. apinchofhope macrumors newbie

well... I think what they're doing is creating a line of attractive, sleek, easy to use computers that don't come with all the buggy, glitchy annoyances windows users have come to accept as normal. and really, speaking of the future, who honestly expects to have a computer last for more than 3 years, assuming they want to keep up-to-date with the OS releases?