Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

killr_b

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2005
Suckerfornia
Meh, I felt a similar catch to the OP after installing win7 on my Mac Pro. It's just because it's new. It won't make you anymore productive than any other OS ever has, it's just that new feeling. I think it took me about 2 weeks to boot back to OS X. :p

BongoBanger

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2008
I have W7 on my Macbook. I rarely go into SL any more because there's no reason to. W7 works very well and runs all the applications I use for business, leisure and study.

It's a home run from MS although I still prefer the Apple hardware.

SolRayz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2007
Ft. Lauderdale
I don't see what the big deal is over W7. The GUI does look new and shiny. The OS overall seems less glitchy than previous Windows versions and it does boot up fairly fast. But overall its the same old Windows registry crap, lag, and poor layout from previous iterations.

A few quick peeves.

Searching for anything in the control panel is overly tedious, I find myself switching back and forth from the classic mode to the new mode just to find specific system preferences.

Searching in the search field within windows or the start menu seems slow and inaccurate at times...I've been spoiled by spotlight perhaps.

I find W7 (Windows in general) much less friendly while multitasking than in OSX.

Wotan31

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2008
I was attracted by the stunning design of the Vaio (VGN-NW), certainly as sexy as an Mac laptop line.
I won't comment on Windows 7 as I've never used it myself, but you found this particular Sony laptop "stunning"? I've looked at this laptop myself, and thought it was a chintzy and cheap knockoff of a Macbook. Chicklet keyboard and everything. The difference though, is that the Vaio feels plasticy and cheap, just look at the underside of it. All manner of irregular shapes and parts slapped haphazardly together. Compare that to the smooth, unified, solid underside of a MB or MBP.

Now look at the optical drive. The slide-out tray is cumbersome and cheap and is so 1998. Slot-load is the way to go on any portable.

Now look at the face, look how cluttered it is with all those gaudy stickers and logos.

Now the Firewire, it is only S400 on this Sony. Sorry, but that's 8+ year old technology. I need Fw800 to be productive. Plus it's a mini-sized non-powered port!! What kind of idiot puts a non-powered firewire port on a laptop?? All my external 2.5" FW drives are self-powered from the port, but you can't do that with this Vaio. No, you'll need to carry bulky A/C adapters to run your external drives now.

Look at the other ports on the side of the machine. They have rough metal surrounds, are slightly recessed, and large gaps between the port and the bodywork. It screams of cheapness. Compare that to the perfectly flush and smooth ports on the side of a MB or MBP.

Lastly, the display uses the older cold cathode tube technology instead of LED's like the Apple products.

This Sony is FAR from sexy, and ever farther from being comparable to a Mac.

Personally I don't mind paying more for the Mac hardware because I find it much more polished and refined than any of the PC brands. As for Windows 7, I'd like to give it a try one of these days. Perhaps under VMware.

flopticalcube

macrumors G4

Barzakh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2009
Windows 7 has VASTLY SUPERIOR wallpapers and themes included than any OS X .

Considering Apple and Macs are supposed to be design-centered, it's ironic Microsoft's OS has much cooler psychedelic and anime wallpaper than the kinda stale Leopard and SL wallpaper.

I think the OS X Finder looks terrible compared to Windows 7 explorer.

Windows 7 seems "fresher" and new, and the grey and aqua theme is looking very long in the tooth.

Aero is better than grey/metallic grey.

Look at this -

2hr1sn5.jpg

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
The trackpad. Nothing comes close.
ahh thanks for clarifying. i was more under the impression you were talking about the computing components ie CPU, GPU etc.

cant blame them its a gorguz computer! i LOVE the old MBP keyboards though. not sure if i like the black of the new ones.

^^OP i hate that background :-S

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Designers require a NEUTRAL background for color balance purposes.

Go to a tv or movie studio production room and see how many of them are are made to look like multi colored fisher-price toys.

I love Apple hardware as well but the Li-Polymer is not an Apple exclusive as intimated in PS. My Asus netbook also has one.

It says flat lithium-polymer batteries is unique to Apple.

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
Designers require a NEUTRAL background for color balance purposes.

Go to a tv or movie studio production room and see how many of them are are made to look like multi colored fisher-price toys.

It says flat lithium-polymer batteries is unique to Apple.

Mine's pretty flat too as its molded to the case and non-removeable just like the MBPs. I don't believe this to be an Apple exclusive although Apple was probably first.

My 10 year old daughter likes the psychedelic backgrounds of 7 (although not the turtle one for some reason). So if 10 year olds was MS's market, they may have made some headway there but they still need to improve on it.

Barzakh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2009
Even long-time Apple employee Walt Mossberg admitted Windows 7 was equal to OS X.

Which is pretty much the end of the world and a dramatic oomph that Windows 7 has come of age.

Jason Beck

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2009
Cedar City, Utah
The production advantage of Windows 7 is nothing but a mirage. You are reacting to new shiny stuff which in turn piques your curiosity and motivates you to compute. Nothing more ...nothing less.

It's human nature. Had you really found substantive improvements to using Win 7 you would have delved deeply into the featureset and compared/contrasted the two OS paradigms.

I've made few decisions in my life that couldn't be accompanied by a multiplicity of backstory about how I arrived at my decision.

I look forward to your 10.7 report.

I second that. Also, OSX doesn't make me lose focus. Myself personally, I get more productive in OSX. I have to use it for college (have mac based classes), so I love using it productively. I would think using Windows would distract me with all the games and what not. I only recently switched to Apple and that was my problem with computers before. I games too much! Now I have a 360 for gaming.

NSMonkey

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2009
It was a total immersion into Mac OS X culture, Starbucks, and a new Bohememian wardrobe from Urban Outfitters.

As Winni already pointed out, this is an obvious joke and it's kind of sad that so many people are posting serious responses.

mac2x

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2009
Windows 7 has VASTLY SUPERIOR wallpapers and themes included than any OS X .

Considering Apple and Macs are supposed to be design-centered, it's ironic Microsoft's OS has much cooler psychedelic and anime wallpaper than the kinda stale Leopard and SL wallpaper.

I think the OS X Finder looks terrible compared to Windows 7 explorer.

Windows 7 seems "fresher" and new, and the grey and aqua theme is looking very long in the tooth.

Aero is better than grey/metallic grey.

Look at this -

2hr1sn5.jpg

I don't know whether to laugh or cry over that desktop background. I mean, WTF??? :eek:

mac2x

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2009
[edit] Now here's a real desktop background win. Many thanks to iMerlin for the Les Paul pic. :)

On the ACD:

4148946181_390175aee3_b.jpg

On the MBP screen:

4149707228_5d2269ea01_b.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.