A Mac owner's nightmare

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by MacDaddy24, Aug 1, 2009.

1. MacDaddy24 macrumors newbie

Well reading these forums I never thought that my precious macbook would be destroyed by water but it has happened to me and I am extremely sad. Basically there was a leak on my roof and the droppings happened to land directly onto my 1500 macbook for hours while I was at the movies watching transformers. WOW. Basically I am venting but also wondering from you guys if there is anything Apple can do .. i doubt it but any thoughts?

2. gatepc macrumors 6502

gatepc

Apple won't do anything most likely. If I was you I would take the batterie out if you can and let it sit for 2 weeks before trying to turn it back on. Good luck!

3. JJP9398 macrumors member

Home owners insurance

Your best bet would be to file a claim with your home owners insurance or renters insurance. Depending on your deductible you might be able to recoup some of you money. Of course this all hinges on if you have insurance.

4. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...home owners/renters insurance is your best bet...

5. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Agree with the others. This should be covered under your insurance, especially if the cause is a faulty roof or drainline.

6. doucy2 macrumors 65816

doucy2

Sorry to hear the bad news. Apple won't probably do anything. If you don't have insurance or not enough of it, air dry like stated for a couple of day, also using a blow dryer (from a comfortable distance) could possibly help dry things out. Just be careful not to get things to hot.

7. Nocturnal22 macrumors 6502

Yup you better tax that home owners Insurance

8. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

It can take a couple days to dry out a small device like an ipod touch. For a larger (and far more expensive) one, I'd give it a week at least. What do you have to lose but the chance to rescue your data...

That said, I once had a small relative spill veggie soup into the keyboard of a powerbook. :eek: I quick popped the power adapter out, shut it down unceremoniously, took out batt, poured out the soup, fished out a couple pieces of ring pasta :eeeeewwwh: and then poured a gallon of distilled water all over the keyboard, turned it upside down like an A-frame chalet and let it dry out for four days. It booted fine and is still working four years later.

The tech rep I spoke to at Apple said I did all the right things but also said that residual salt or sugar could become a corrosive issue down the road. So far no problem. You might not have that issue at least, as long as the water did not become really corrosive seeping through roofing materials.

9. amitai macrumors newbie

amitai

take it a to a third-party mac repair place!!! they will do it -- not for free, of course, but probably cheaper.

10. googlia macrumors newbie

It's your fault....

It's your fault for actually going to the theater to see Transformers. If god existed, he would be punishing you for giving money to michael bay and wasting your own life. anyway, I really do hope that you get some help with that comp.

11. drummerlondonw3 macrumors 6502a

drummerlondonw3

sound advice, and as others have said apple will unlikely do anything. You could try and recoup some of the money on ebay by selling DOA

I feel your pain though, I really do. Very upsetting :(

12. looman9635 macrumors member

looman9635

13. Synchromesh macrumors 6502a

Synchromesh

There is another method. I brought a few machines back from the brink this way. Get some cotton swabs and rubbing alcohol. Take the system apart (removing the logic may or may not be necessary depending on how bad the spill is). Locate all the places on the board where you see the dried up liquid and gently clean them off with swabs dipped in alcohol. For extra tight places I usually grab some cotton off the swab with sharp-tipped tweezers, dip that in alcohol and use them as directed above.

This isn't too hard as Apple components seem to be attached to the board pretty well so knocking them off is only possible if you either push very hard or the board is corroded which usually doesn't happen for a while after the incident. Just be careful and patient and if the system damage is only on surface you should be able to bring it back. The first indicator of things going right is the properly functioning green/orange light on the power supply since it's the part of the power chain.