A MacBook iPad hybrid?!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by GarytheiPhonema, Nov 17, 2011.

1. GarytheiPhonema macrumors member

GarytheiPhonema

2. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

I think your $2000 price point is a pretty good guess (at least right now) and I don't think Apple is interested in getting into that market. But there are alternatives in the Windows world. The Lenovo X220T is probably the best option out there. It would run around $1500 for a loaded model.

3. GarytheiPhonema thread starter macrumors member

GarytheiPhonema

I also wonder how Apple will deal with iOS/OS X because the tablet would have to be able to run OS X also right?

4. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

That's correct. What you're talking about is touch-enabled MBA. The Holy Grail is a single OS that spans the computer, smartphone, and tablet markets. And that's what Microsoft is aiming for in Windows8. If they pull it off, it will be a formidable software environment but you'll have to wait nearly a year to see how successful they'll be. Google's "chrome" OS is another example of a similar initiative.

I'm sure that Apple isn't ignoring that long term strategy. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand its appeal. But anyone who thinks the entire enterprise is not a major challenge doesn't understand the roadblocks and speed bumps in the journey.

5. palpatine macrumors 68040

sounds great, in theory, but in practice you have to wonder what the trade-offs would be.

as iOS and its apps become more and more functional, i think a lot of people will be able to transition to the iPad (i am already there for most of my work). will a single os be overpowered for some users and underpowered for others?

then, there is the weight. it will inevitably be heavier, and i don't see how they will ever be able to get away from fans vents, and somewhat larger cases in order to deal with serious processors like sandy bridge. will consumers be willing to spend more money, for potentially less functionality (dumbed-down osx), and more weight than the ipad?

finally, there is the battery. even now the air struggles to get 5 hours. will apple be able to produce this unified os + light weight + long battery life? if not, will consumers accept less battery life (the ipad is 10)?

i don't see the point. i love ios, love the tablet form factor, and get a lot done on the ipad. i go home at somepoint and do the heavy lifting with my macbook. sure, in an ideal world my ipad would do it all, but more ideal world, my ipad would be using ios with a thinner form factor, less weight, better screen, and longer battery life :)

6. MojoDojo macrumors member

The X220T is a great box but at this point spending money on a Windows machine can't be a good idea. I'm waiting to see what Window 8 brings and whether or not older units can be updated (as in, will offer full support for all new features) before I go anywhere near one.

7. Funkymonk macrumors 6502a

Funkymonk