A Macbook Pro 13" enough for my needs?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chuckflip53, May 25, 2010.

1. chuckflip53 macrumors regular

I'll be going to college in a few months and for college what I'll basically be using my computer for is:

Word processing
    Video chatting
    Internet browsing
    Run a few games occasionally (most likely on windows via dual booting)

I'm a business major so I'm not sure of the programs that the school will require but I'm sure it's nothing super-CPU intensive like graphics/video editing

Will the 2.4GHz Macbook Pro suffice in my case?

2. GadgetGeek71 macrumors 6502

The 13" should be fine...as long as the games are not too graphic intensive. I have the 13" uMBP and it works great for me (same thing you use it for) and the size is the icing on the cake.

3. tikidoc macrumors regular

tikidoc

4. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

It sure will:D

And if you get 4GB or RAM and a SSD in it it will be the BOMB!

5. vant macrumors 65816

All MBPs have 4GB of RAM.

6. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Not when I brought mine 4 months ago. I guess they do now though:D

7. cloroxbleach4 macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

That'll be plenty for your needs. As a business major myself, the only thing I ever run is Microsoft office and I run that using vmware fusion and windows 7. The mac version of office is a bit different so I find it easier to use virtualization.

8. chuckflip53 thread starter macrumors regular

What major at what school? to stay on topic though, I'm thinking of just installing XP w/SP2 - I don't think there should be any issues? idk how many people still dual boot XP on their macbooks nowadays

9. GadgetGeek71 macrumors 6502

I use Open Office (free) and my professors are fine with the format. In fact, Office 2007 will automatically re-format the files to docx effortlessly.

10. macbookpro13 macrumors member

I've been using Google Docs (free) and it seems to work just fine.

11. Batman101 macrumors member

It make no sense to buy something that is going to be EOL at the end of the year, for over 1000 dollars.

It might fit your needs, but using the same logic if a pentium 2 can fulfilled what you need, are you going to spend over 1000 dollars on that laptop just because it fits what you need and look nice?

12. smc333 macrumors regular

Ignore this post. The machine is not going to be EOLed. There was a very good reason Apple stuck to the Core 2 Duo, and it should be more than enough for the next 4 years as a Business Major.

13. vaderhater245 macrumors 6502

I've pushed my "pre-pro" MacBook fairly hard with games and CS4. Hasn't failed me yet. Perfect mobile workstation!

14. hypermog macrumors regular

Yes, a brand-new computer is capable of doing the most utterly basic things that any computer from the past 10 years can do.

15. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

13" plus eventually a 22" external display for big word processing projects (having various research papers+pages open, side by side).

16. iPlatypus macrumors newbie

It will do totally fine and the size is great for school. Infact, I've just purchased one myself and I love it!

The people here telling you to buy the 15" 'cuz the C2D is going EOL' are just trying to justify their purchase. Don't buy what you don't need, because you can always buy what you really need for less money - when you buy it at the right time. ;)

17. Batman101 macrumors member

No, Core 2 duo is going to be EOL at the end of the year by Intel.

18. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

You're joking right? The P4 hasn't even been completely outmoded yet. No, Intel doesn't still produce it, but it will still run just about every new piece of software out there, just like a C2D still will in four years and beyond.

Ignore the whining about C2D. Tons of people are still using older MBPs with them, and they are still very good processors. No they aren't new and shiny like the i5/i7, but they get the job done. And for what you need it for, it will work great.

19. Batman101 macrumors member

Yeah, that is a terrible argument. you can still use a 486 chip to do some light office work, watch some video/pictures and listen to music. That doesnt mean you will pay over 1000 dollars for it.

that is exactly what you are arguing about the core 2 duo, for the value of your money, better go for the i5 processor.

20. vant macrumors 65816

The Core i3 performs the same as the C2D. In fact, the 2.66 C2D outperforms any mobile i3. Your point?

21. Batman101 macrumors member

I never mentioned i3 processor, my point is buying the core 2 duo 13 inch is not very smart. Buy the i5 processor and the laptop have a better chance to do what he wants for a longer period.

22. drummingcraig macrumors 6502a

drummingcraig

So just to clarify, you're suggesting that the OP should spend 50% more money on a laptop to take to college? *Any* laptop you buy is going to be way behind in four years. No need in spending more than necessary at his point in his/her life.

23. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

Yeap. That's what I got for my needs for college. If money is not an issue, get the base 15" :]

24. Batman101 macrumors member

I dont know if money is the issue for him, but he didnt mentioned that so i assumed that he is going to afford both. He merely asked which laptop to buy and i give him my opinion.

And yes, i think spending a couple hundred dollars for the dedicated graphics and a cpu where you can hyperthread is worth it and could probably able to run the latest program for longer.

25. drummingcraig macrumors 6502a

drummingcraig

I quoted the OP for reference here. He doesn't need a graphics behemoth as he stated. I'm not trying to flame you here. Obviously if money is not an issue than yes, buy the best machine you can afford that fits your particular needs. However, as a college student I think its safe to assume that money is an issue, and we're not talking about "a couple hundred" bucks like you said...its almost a $600 difference between the entry level 13" and the entry level 15". That's more than 50% of the cost of the 13". IMO you'd be better off saving that $600 and putting it towards a new machine in 4-5 years if you're really concerned about staying current.