A Macbook Pro is on its way... What problems await?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Rustman, Dec 2, 2007.

1. Rustman macrumors regular

Rustman

This concerns me. I've just sucked it up after years of not buying a Mac, but Vista finally convinced me to switch. So, two days ago I phoned Apple and ordered myself a Macbook Pro. I was tempted to wait as it was nearing the end of its cycle, but thought the least we would get would be a slight speed bump and at worst a whole new revision with all sorts of new problems.

Basically my main reason for getting one now was all those problems should have been ironed out, but after reading some of the complaints that some users are having with Leopard compatibility and hardware issues I'm beginning to get jittery. I bought a MBP because I want to get stuff done and do it in style.

Just how many problems are people still having with hardware that is meant to be designed for professionals who just want to get stuff done?

2. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

Rule #1 of purchasing any computer: Once you've ordered it stay off the forums!

I purchased a MBP right when the SR refresh happened and have had zero problems with it. I also upgraded to Leopard on October 26 and had zero problems with that as well.

Not to discredit anyone else's problems, but the forums are always going to have more negative comments than positive, problem-free ones. That's not to say that there aren't issues, but there are plenty of people who've had no problems at all as well.

Congrats on your purchase, and hopefully everything works out for the best.

3. Rustman thread starter macrumors regular

Rustman

LOL!

Good advice. And to be honest, this was the sort of post I was hoping to get back. I have a friend who has been with Apple for 10 years and never been stung badly (a bit, but they were niggles). I just wanted my first experience to be the WOW that Vista never was. :D

4. gpeden macrumors regular

I've had my 2.2 GHz MB Pro for 3 weeks now and it's still perfect. Wondering about that yellow screen thing, though :)

Cheers!

Glen

5. weblogik macrumors regular

my logic board died on day 3. sending it back tomorrow. Pissed off as hell.

6. zirkle2007 macrumors 6502

zirkle2007

A little over two months here, not a single problem. Using Leopard since the day it came out, still not a single problem. Besides, there isn't one computer manufacture that doesn't have faulty products once in awhile. But Apple take better care of ya if you do!

7. Rustman thread starter macrumors regular

Rustman

You know what.... that's a damn good point. Bad things do happen, but Apple do have a better track record of fixing things (even if stuff keeps reoccurring) than the likes of Dell, Fujitsu-Siemens and Compaq. Hell... they even have stores you can go into.

Has there ever been a poll that only regulars and experienced users have contributed to, because the one-five post whiners looking for a forum to moan on can really skew a result?

I'm guessing MOST people get a completely working computer otherwise Apple would be out of business, right? ;)

8. gpeden macrumors regular

So of course, after writing that.... :)

3 weeks plus a few hours and I realize that my super-drive is pooched. It seems to play commercial DVD's and read the install disks OK, but not ones that I've produced with iDVD or burned from other sources. They just sit in the drive for a couple of minutes and then get spit out. It burned a DVD with toast from disk image of a back-up of a commercial DVD, but then failed verification. And of course it played fine in my other Mac's. There seems to be a lot of folks with this issue on the Apple Forum.

Glen

9. bov macrumors 6502

hmmm i havent tried burning anything on my MBP yet, maybe i should test it out just to make sure my SuperDrive is functioning properly

10. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

bought mine at the SR refresh

bought leopard on oct. 26

zero problems.

11. jeff^d macrumors member

I bought my MBP on Black Friday this year with the same mentality regarding the supposed January updates and the desire to be wowed in a problem free manner.

One day after it arrived, the power adapter stopped working. Apple has sent me a new one, but I'm still waiting for it to arrive. I'm disappointed, but I understand there are faulty parts. However, those first 24 hours that it worked...whew :D. Sweet machine.

And, I agree with previous comments. If you're not careful, these forums will give you Apple hypochondria.

12. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

I have my Macbook Pro 14 months now. Not a single problem....

I know you have a newer machine on the way. But everything should be fine. If there is any problems with it Apple will sort it out for ya. :)

Enjoy your machine!

13. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

I've had SR macbook pro since this summer and not a single issue.

Remember all unhappy customers goes on the forum with it and only a very small portion of the happy ones do the same :p

I've had many apple laptops, I even have a Apple Portable (1990) lying around and I've only once had a huge issue, and that was my 1.33 GHz Powerbook 12-inch, which apple happily replaced with a 1.5GHz after the GFX died in the 1.33GHz roughly a year after I got it.

Except the yellowing issue quite a bit ppl with the first MBPs had I think the MBP has been a machine with very few problems.

14. Jasper2k macrumors newbie

I bought a 17" HD MBP just before Thanksgiving, replacing my Sony Vaio laptop XPSP2 system, and never looked back. Even using this as combination Windows / OS X box, I have encountered zero critical failures - just the opposite actually. It found and setup my wireless network flawlessly, including finding all the other PC shares and putting them in the side window! My HP printer? Found and configured automatically.

I got one with a Leopard drop-in DVD. I backed up the HD first thing using Carbon Copy Cleaner, and then did the "Erase and Install." Can't emphasize enough how everything just WORKED.

The only anomalies for me were not mission-critical - Parallels 3.0 is a bit flaky under Leopard (kernel panics, etc.) BUT Build 5580 RC is now out, and my HP All-In-One is just a printer because the HP software suite is not fully Leopard compatible BUT HP has a public beta that is very close.

Everything I need on the Dark Side (AutoCAD, Visio, etc) works BETTER on the Mac under Parallels than on my old Sony.

So, a long-winded way of saying - MBP ROCKS. Thanks for the opportunity to sound off... :p

15. gpeden macrumors regular

Indeed. This MBP is the first new Mac I've bought since the PB1400 and I was so totally impressed with how the Migration Assistant worked so well. I wasn't expecting such a complete cloning of my MDD G4 desktop computer, **from Panther to Tiger**, and I'm really glad that I spent hours cleaning up files and the desktop before doing it because it paid off doubly on both machines:) Even the desktop photo and icon placement was duplicated. Only a few apps needed their license code typed in. Perfect it was :)

Cheers!

Glen

16. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

Just bought 2 iMacs 3 weeks ago (see signature) and have had no problems at all and have been loving them ever since...
    ...well only problem came when I tried to put a mini-cd in one of the slot loading drives (it said on the disc it could be put into an iMac and I foolishly believed them against what my knowledge and gut told me), but that's a whole different story - and for the record, don't try and do that and you'll be fine...

17. dmarch macrumors regular

dmarch

OK, I'll come out of the shadows.

Ibook G4 zero issues
    Mac mini zero issues
    SR MBP zero issues

All running Leopard with....zero issue

I do wish Time Machine worked as advertised though.

I find the information posted on this board to be very helpful, and if I have an issue, I'll probably come here before AppleCare.

18. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Leopard is fine...don't worry.

WOrry about yellow screens and dead pixels. Those are common. I say you have a 50% chance of getting some sort of problem, based on my own experiences anyway.

good luck...

19. Rustman thread starter macrumors regular

Rustman

Well.. talk about your bad luck. The Mac is back in the box already and I haven't got past the registration details yet.

The screen at the top has two very obvious light sources where the screen must be pinched and the bottom 1/3 of the screen is yellowed.

Then just to rub it in the lid doesn't sit flushed and is warped on the right hand side and doesn't sit true.

Sigh!

Well... my first bought Mac (had been given a G4 Quicksilver) and I'm filled with overwhelming disappointment. The whole experience has been tainted to the point I want a refund.

Very not happy. I've got work to do.

20. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Yeah, I saw that one coming. Don't count on #2 being good either...

21. Rustman thread starter macrumors regular

Rustman

Well, I got it back out the box as I figured I should use this one to let me get the feel for a Mac, trying to ignore the rubbish screen and lid problem.

Now.... a couple of things I need to know are:

1. Will Apple send another one out and pick this one up at the same time, or do they expect me to wait whilst they take a look at their own poor manufacturing and use my money to pad out their money coat?

2. Do Superdrives normally make a "KERCHUNK KERCHUNK KERCHUNK" noise when loading a disk? I've never noticed this sort of noise from a slot loader before.

3. How many MBP's will it take for me to lose all faith in Apple and go back to the dark side?

22. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Take a picture of the yellow at the bottom of the LCD. Are you sure it's not just the viewing angle?

23. Rustman thread starter macrumors regular

Rustman

I'm a graphic designer by trade. I've worked with a LOT of display equipment. Trust me when I say, the bottom quarter to a third is yellowed. Even my wife can see it and that is saying a lot.

The monitor on this laptop is one of the least consistent I've EVER come across. And then there's the two lights at the top that glare down. I'd rather have a gloss screen than this appalling excuse for a display unit.

24. powerchord macrumors member

wait, I'm confused... don't you mean LED? or do the LCD's also have yellowing problems?

25. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

It's an LCD with LED backlighting instead of CCFL backlighting.