A Macbook project

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Zotaccian, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Zotaccian, Jul 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2014

Zotaccian macrumors 6502a

Zotaccian

Bought another Macbook for project. Very clean externally but cannot get chime or video. LED is constantly on.

I removed memory sticks and they are oxidized as far as I can tell, contacts were covered in white powder-like substance. I tried cleaning by using the tools I had which means that I have no tools designed for the job, it made no difference. The machine reacts to PMU reset, the led flickers rapidly and then stays on, normally it would go off and the booting would begin. The computer also seems to be display some kind of error message when there is no memory at all, the led flickers in pattern.

Does this sound like memory slots need better cleaning or is it GPU problem? I'm considering buying oxidiation cleaning liquid (sorry I don't know what it is called in english) and trying with that. I have also ordered tools for GPU reflow before this project so I could also try that when those tools arrive.

Tips are appreciated.

EDIT: I think this is Core / Core 2 Duo -model so it has Intel graphics which don't fail that often. I'm currently away from the machine so I cannot check, but it is definitely older machine so GMA 950 or X3100 inside.

2. Big Ron macrumors 6502

Big Ron

As an electronics engineer, one of the best soloutions for cleaning up electrical contacts is a pencil eraser/rubber.

This is no good for the memnory slots but perfect for the electrical edge connector of the RAM chips. Gently rub away at the edge connector at about a 45deg angle, you will know if you are sucessful because the gold edge connector will become more "shiney" as deposits are removed. Clean the conntacts afterwards with an alcohol based cleaner, it will evaporate leaving no trace.

3. Zotaccian thread starter macrumors 6502a

Zotaccian

I have replacement RAM so for me the slots itself are really the problem, here is a picture of the sticks which were installed on the machine, I have not done anything to them but I have tried to clean the slots themselves:

http://aijaa.com/t0cs0I

I also have to add that I have never ever seen this kind of thing on any other machines but Macbooks, many cases. Surely there are other laptops which may have this but I just haven't seen one.

4. logana macrumors 65816

logana

That is normal for MacBook memory sticks. Apple used some kind of white grease when they fitted the ram in the factory - it is nothing to worry about.

Cleaning the ram or the ram slots is unlikely to make much difference......

Most likely to be a liquid damaged logicboard !!

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Have you pulled the top case to check for corrosion from liquid damage?

6. Zotaccian thread starter macrumors 6502a

Zotaccian

I'm now back to this project. I have the topcase off but the only thing that I have noticed so far is that there was thermal paste (I think it was that) near memory slots and that certainly doesn't belong there. Will continue looking the board but so far looks ok.

7. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Look for any corrosion or discoloration.

8. Zotaccian thread starter macrumors 6502a

Zotaccian

Haven't found anything :confused:
    Chipset and CPU get hot if I leave the computer on so something is happening.

9. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Does it chime? Also do you get video out on the mini-DVI port?

10. Zotaccian, Jul 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2014

Zotaccian thread starter macrumors 6502a

Zotaccian

No chime or other sounds. All it does is:

1) Reset SMC if I press power button couple seconds (fast led blinks and then solid)
    2) Blink in some kind of error pattern if there is no ram
    3) Chipset and CPU get hot if computer is left on
    4) It can run by using battery alone
    5) No led at all if hard disk cable is detached (there is no hard disk connected since I don't have spare one at the moment)

There were similar cases around the internet and atleast one user reported that if he let the computer get hot, then shut down and then try again he could eventually make it boot. This would point to some kind of solder problem. I tried leaving the computer on for some time but nothing changed.

I haven't tried Mini-DVI port, I doubt I will get video there but I guess I could try.
    EDIT: Tried, nothing.

11. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I am thinking a new Logic Board is in order here.

12. Zotaccian, Jul 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2014

Zotaccian thread starter macrumors 6502a

Zotaccian

I will probably try to see if heating makes any difference, it would nice if I could atleast verify if the display panel works and get some spare parts. I already know that the topcase is fine, except for external condition (cracks on edges). Optical drive can be tested on one of my PC laptops easily, unscrewing all thousand screws of my working Macbook being the last resort for that.. I haven't tested the ram which came with the machine but it is worthless 2 x 512mb combo anyways.

13. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

You can remove it and bake it 380 F for 7.5 minutes to reflow the board.

14. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

I've yet to see a MacBook with integrated graphics go out, but it's possible. I've had success reflowing MBP's and PCs with Nvidia's 8xxx GPU's and some ATI cards with a heat gun. Same concept as the oven, but more focused and less likely to forget a pice of plastic and melt it. Worth a shot.

I also found an Early 2009 MacBook for $199 on eBay I may pick up myself, make it a small project. It's currently working however, just needs some cleaning up and upgrades.

15. Zotaccian thread starter macrumors 6502a

Zotaccian

Yeah, I got this one for roughly 39USD including shipping when converted, not bad I'd say because it has already been useful purchase.

It came with a brand new charger which I immediately designated to another machine, it also originally had very good condition topcase and display bezel which I swapped with that another technically working but externally bad looking machine. Even though this problematic one now looks worn out it would of course be nice if I could get it working. I now looked that this seems to be 2006 model with 2.0GHz Core Duo.

The LCD panel blinks briefly when I press power button and if I can judge anything from that it looks ok. I have also been told that Intel's GMAs very rarely fail, altough in these Macbook the cooling system is not that great which might lead to even the most reliable chip to fail.

16. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

It is possible reflowing may help.

17. comda macrumors 6502a

comda

Im using the same line of macbook right now.. A 2007 white macbook. With that same GMAX3100 Chip.. Its not a bad chip because this mac still does 720p no issues. But yes heat is one issue. I recently re applied thermal paste to the CPU and GPU of this machine and right now my fans while only on this page (but working on the mac for hours) are running at 1800RPM so the min and my temp is at 60 degrees Celsius. So like the others said.. try the oven. lol

18. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

This is not oxidation, this is a graphite-based lubricant that Apple uses at the factory for installation. It is not a factor in your macbook's troubles

Do you have a known-good piece of DDR2-667 SODIMM on hand to try?