A macs real size

Discussion in 'iMac' started by earlyg23, Apr 26, 2012.

1. earlyg23 macrumors newbie

Has anyone measured their Mac? I recently purchased a new 27 inch I Mac and was under the impression this was the spec width but low and behold, its actual width is 25.6 six inches. What happened to the rest of the computer? Doing the math in actuality, 24.85 inches is missing. I am curious to know if anyone may have an explanation or is Apple miss representing their products?:):):)

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

3. robgendreau macrumors 68040

4. J3ayy macrumors member

as said ALL computers & tv's are measured diagonally :rolleyes:

5. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

How can you get to 2012 without knowing that?
    Plus the actual dimensions of the physical unit are on apple.com too, so no need for a thread. If you had of gone there in the first place you would have realised your mistake.

6. The-Pro macrumors 65816

LOL :D

It can happen. No need to bash the person

7. Dunnowhattodo macrumors newbie

Either the OP was a very successful troll or they just weren't very tech savvy (for example an older person may not)

Just because the majority of people on here are geeky and like gadgets, myself included it's not nice people putting someone down for asking a question.

8. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Hey, give him a break. They only started doing it 70 years ago, and computers are TVs are obscure products that are only rarely advertised with diagonal arrows superimposed on the screen denoting the size.

9. harcosparky macrumors 68020

First the word is " misrepresenting " and not " miss representing ".

That aside, for as far back as I can remember displays are measured DIAGONALLY !!!

----------

Yeah us younger people ( I am 57 ) are not Tech Savvy at all.

Hell we invited the Tech you youngsters love to play with! :D

10. rrgjl macrumors newbie

rrgjl

I think you'd be surprised by the amount of non-tech savvy young people, which aren't plain ignorant (college/uni students), that would not know something like this. Simply because they are not into these things.

11. Dunnowhattodo macrumors newbie

I did say "may". And it happens with "youngsters" to, I know for a fact if I asked my girlfriend she wouldn't know which way you would measure a screen, because when would she ever have needed that info? Or at least, she may kinda know and say "diagonal" quizzically lol

12. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

I didn't intend to bash or flame him, it is just something that people ought to know for their own sake. So my brashness was intended for his benefit. :cool:

13. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

Has nothing to do with being old--or even geeky, TVs have been measured diagonally since--well--forever--certainly as long as I can remember.

14. snberk103 macrumors 603

Way to go... new member. Signed up special to ask a question, and gets slammed. Don't think we'll ever see that person again.

I'm sure the the NDP cut those inches off in transit anyway... ;)

15. Dunnowhattodo macrumors newbie

Well yeah I know that, and have done for a while but what I'm saying is not every single person ever would know that, it's ridiculous to say otherwise, a lot of people wouldn't care how its measured, they'll just know from looking if it is the right size for them or not. You can't assume everyone is in the know.

16. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

I wouldn't expect a normal person to know this. Us nerds on the other hand... :p

17. MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

As a side note, whilst LCDs are measured diagonally and are pretty much the entire viewable area, CRTs are measured mounting ear to mounting ear diagonally (behind the screen's bezel) which means a 17" CRT doesn't mean 17" viewable diagonal size. It ends up being about an inch less viewable size, often quoted as "17inch - 16.1inch viewable".

18. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

TVs are sized this way as well. I would expect a normal person to know this. One minute of looking at the iMac specs page would have answered the question, but instead the op thought it would be better to post on a forum. I find that hard to believe.

19. snberk103 macrumors 603

Yes, because you and everyone else who gave the OP a hard time have never ever ever asked a question whose answer was known to everyone else in the room/on the forum/in the bar....

A little common courtesy has used to be, well - common. Sadly it seems to be getting a bit thin on the ground lately. And certainly was rare in this thread.

20. lifeguard90 macrumors 6502a

well said, people can lose the sarcasm and jerk comments