A mess of problems since I got my 5s.

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Dascoyne, Sep 27, 2013.

1. Dascoyne macrumors 6502

This isn't a fault of the phone. It's just my situation.

First some background info:

For several months I've been having problems with iTunes on my desktop PC. In short, it won't update. I couldn't even do a clean install because I won't even uninstall iTunes.

After trying for a while I put the issue aside and have been resigned to using an outdated iTunes with my iPhone 5.

Last week I traded the 5 for a 5s and went home to sync. iTunes won't recognize the new phone which is running ios 7.

Problem #1. Recovering my contacts.

It would be a simple thing to just transfer my contacts to iCloud but my iTunes account is an old one that apparently has some limited function. I can log on for iTunes purchases but I can't generate an iCloud account with it.

This week I just created a new iTunes account just so I can use iCloud. But I couldn't seem to transfer my contacts from one account the other.

Well I used program called, iphonebackupextractor to grab some data from iTunes and generate vCard files. I put iTunes on my laptop (my desktop PC is still running the old iTunes) and imported the .csv. I synced with my new phone and for the most part it worked ... except that I noticed the physical street addresses are gone. I don't know if that's an issue with the program or if it's because the field doesn't translate from ios 6 to ios 7.

I wrote to the developer of the program for assistance and am still waiting for their reply.

If the problem is the latter case, any ideas how I might recover that data?

Problem #2.

As I mentioned before I'm now using my laptop to sync with my iPhone. I restored some of my purchased movies to iTunes laptop. I found out that my copy of Blade Runner is now in French. My iTunes default language is in English. Even during playback English isn't even an option. It's only in French with only subtitle options.

When I get a chance I'll just try to grab the file off my desktop and physically move it to my laptop. I'm hoping that will work - otherwise I'm going to see if I can get help from the iTunes support. Anybody have any insight to this problem?

So my 5s is great and I'm happy except I need to recover my contact street addresses and get at least one of my iTunes purchased movies back into English.

That's it for now. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Wow! I'm not sure what kind of wackiness you've created for yourself here, but if you can't uninstall the old iTunes, there's something screwy with that computer. It's windows, you can forcefully remove all of the associated program files very easily, while leaving your media in the iTunes library folder, then install the new version.

Did you try to just download the new one and install it over the existing version?

And there is no such thing as an iTunes account that's too old to use iCloud, I've had mine since iTunes first came into being and am still using it! There were no apps and such in it then, just some music!! LOL

What happens on your old phone, if you turn on iCloud? EDIT! Sorry, I looked again and saw you no longer have the 5.

Post the error that you're getting when trying to use iCloud, that would enable others to help you more.

How old is your computer?

3. Dascoyne thread starter macrumors 6502

My PC registries got gunky over time. I was planning to do a comprehensive clean wipe of the HD and fresh install, but I kept putting it off.

Yes, I downloaded the updater as an .exe. Running the .exe generates an error in the midst of the process about files that couldn't be found and then reverses the install.

Trying to uninstall from the Control Panel yields a similar error and aborts the uninstall.

I'm hesitant about going into the Programs folder and manually deleting iTunes because I have no idea what additional resources need to be deleted or modified. It seems that blindly dumping iTunes, at the very least, would give rise to more registry conflicts. Back when I was using DOS it was no big deal. I'm an old-timer and don't have the same confidence fiddling with Windows 7.

Well maybe I should rephrase that. All I know is that I opened my iTunes account when it first came into being, too.
    I thought everything was cool until iCloud showed up and didn't recognize the account. I tried through iTunes and online to no avail. Some functions work and some don't. I gave up trying to fix it a while back.

When I get a chance I'll put up more details. It was a year ago when I tried and gave up.

The MB and case I've had for about 7 years. The HD had a fresh install about 3 years ago.

4. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

There's your problem, I had to reinstall Windows almost yearly just to get the funk out.

5. Dascoyne thread starter macrumors 6502

I know. Got lazy after I got married.
    I'm blaming my wife.
    Hope she doesn't read this. LOL.

6. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Just summing up the problem as WINDOWS is enough! LOL

My last Win machine died almost a year ago and I haven't missed it.

7. Dascoyne thread starter macrumors 6502

I've gone back and forth between platforms. If I didn't like gaming so much I'd have absolutely no reason to have a PC. My last Mac was the first generation G3 I got in 1999 (and I've had several macs since the 1980's) which never gave me any trouble. I still have the box somewhere and it probably still runs.

8. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

I have an old G3 here and it still works! :)

There are some excellent games for the mac, so it doesn't bother me to not have a PC, especially since I don't have to keep tweaking and playing with it to keep it working.