A messenger from the future ...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by dustinl4m3, Mar 22, 2012.

1. dustinl4m3 macrumors regular

Alright, first up, consider me crazy and take everything I have to say with a grain of salt.

I sometimes have clairvoyant dreams, and this time I saw the current iPad a few years from now.

If I had to estimate, it was about 4 years from today. I got to hold and play with an iPad-esque device that had significantly changed from today's version.

First, the bezel around the glass screen was smaller (perhaps 0.5"), and rather than being black or white, it was metallic like the backing of the case. This means that the glass was actually smaller, and the front showed the rectilinear edge smoothly around the glass bisecting the glass/aluminum junction.

The device has become thicker and heavier. It also looks somewhat like an iPhone4 in a sense- it's squared off. No tapers on the edges, but rather flat edges. Device was approximately 4/5 of an inch thick and weighed almost twice an iPad 2. The screen resolution was amazing.

The operating system has been upgraded to show cutesy widgets on the home screen prior to unlock. It looked like a hybridization of iOS and OS X. With some snazzy stuff added on. Only got to see this part for a second before I got distracted.

I started noticing that I was controlling this device via a bluetooth wifi keyboard. Very similar to the current apple keyboard, except instead of keys, it was a smooth touchpad in the shape of the current wireless keyboard.

Further, the wireless keyboard could be separated/bisected in half, and each half operated as an independent control touchpad for the iPad. I got the feeling that the keyboard came in multiple colors, as during this (fully lucid, I might add- I am quite experienced with things like this) experience, it kept flip-flopping between a dark black near gunmetal color and pure white. Maybe I haven't made my mind up yet and the matrix is calculating a 50/50 ratio out to a lot of decimal places?

Either way, it was an awesome convergence device. It felt real, and it looked quite real. Now I know that all I ever see are what are called "potential futures". In the many-worlds interpretation of quantum physics, I am just seeing one of those possible worlds. But damn it, the device looked cool as hell. I want one today.

And apologies in advance if you don't like my crazy. I'll not share my other stories so as not not further tarnish my credibility.

D

2. interfreak macrumors regular

interfreak

Wow, well, I hope your dream comes true except for the thicker and heavier bit.

I'd imagine that battery and chip technology will have advanced enough in 4 years to make today's iPad look like a brick.

3. Feed Me macrumors 6502a

Feed Me

I see

4. dustinl4m3 thread starter macrumors regular

Just sharing a dream. We all have them.

Mine just sometimes come true. Not sure about this one.

D

----------

Well, I didn't get to spend much time playing with it, but the feeling I got from playing with the home screen was that it was a full-blown computer. Like just as hardcore as the top of the line MBP right now, except 4 years more advanced. Like they don't even sell the weird "notebook" computers anymore in that future, or something.

Just my guess. I've had dreams about unicorns flying over the magic river of love juice too, so it's not like I'm very accurate. Just sharing a personal experience.

D

5. iHeartsteve macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

Very funny. Dream up 32, 64, 128. 24 hr battery and quad core ipad4 ;)

6. slicecom macrumors 68020

Did your thumbs keep touching the screen accidently? Because that's what would happen if the bezel was smaller.

7. LoloBond macrumors 6502

You're watching too much Fringe....... :D

8. batotman macrumors 6502

No. Over There, IBM is the dominant player with Windows as their main product.

9. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted

It's like smoking DMT and thinking about apple products at the same time.

So any word when John Connor will save us from these machines?

10. Sdevante macrumors 6502

True; but mine usually involve your mom.

11. dustinl4m3 thread starter macrumors regular

I've suspected some creepy guys were poking into my Mom-dreams.

12. boltjames macrumors 68040

boltjames

Was Paul McCartney still alive?

BJ

13. mac jones macrumors 68040

Thanks for that.

You should perhaps, consider writing these ideas in a story.

14. Holoshed macrumors regular

You know, companies may end up hiring someone like you, if they don't already. Think about it, every design, someone had to dream it up.

15. Archer1440 macrumors 6502

Archer1440

And here I was thinking blotter acid was out of vogue.

16. bcaslis macrumors 68020

I don't think you need to worry about credibility after that post. :rolleyes:

17. nutmac macrumors 68040

I wouldn't buy that device even if it is available today for half the price of iPad.

18. biggy52 macrumors regular

Maybe he is from the Other Side (Parallel Universe). And Steve Jobs is still alive and designed the said product ! ;)

19. soco macrumors 68030

soco

I didn't read your post because the idea of reading future-specs predictions bored me really quickly (not intending offense, I'm just tired) but I can tell it was cute.

Nice take on what's usually a dull post. +4 internets.

20. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

This post would have fit well in the LSD/Acid thread over in the political threads.

OP, when you have these dreams, what type of drugs do you use beforehand?

21. diane143 macrumors 6502a

Just make sure you write it all down so you can look it up later and compare. :)

(dead serious here)

22. Mshilling macrumors regular

23. calilove macrumors member

24. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

If you ever out a nicotine patch on and went to bed you get the craziest colorful vivid dreams its weird. It's like dreaming and doing LSD at the same time. But of course you can't sleep when you tripping, but I think that's what it would be like.

25. MrMacNasty macrumors member

I predict that 4 years in the future, I will be holding up my new iPad and see a yellowish tint on my screen and I'll visit the MacRumors forum to view countless threads on the subject that look eerily similar to threads posted in 2012.