Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

doink123

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2010
Hi guys,
Apple has approved our app and I wanted to let you know.

scr1.jpg

The idea is simple and not a new one.
We are trying to make 1 million dollars by selling 1 million pixels for $1 each (yes, I know how this sounds).

Everyone is welcome to buy pixels, which are available in blocks. Every block is 10x10 pixels (a total of 100 pixels per block). The application contains 10,000 of these blocks, which makes 1,000,000 pixels.

You can buy as many pixels as you want as long as they are available. Once you buy a particular block of pixels you can upload a 10x10 ad/image/logo and make it link to your own web site, iphone application, or wherever you want.

The pixels you've bought become yours forever and you can change the images, the links they point to, and the description anytime you want. We are hoping to support this app for at least 2 years with the money we make and think that in the long term the pixels will offer good value.

You will get your very own spot in the Million Dollar App, which is going to be yours forever and can potentially be seen by millions. You will be able to upload a small 10x10 image (or more images if you have bought more blocks), a bigger 50x50 image and a short description, which the user will see after tapping on your pixels. Also, you can set a URL for the particular block and use it to show your web site or your iphone application to the user. You will be able to change the contents of your blocks anytime you want.

Check the app at:
iTunes Link

The application itself is free.

doink123

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2010

Yes, I said it's not a new idea, but it's an unique model for the app store. You can actually link your pixels directly to your app in the AppStore and the native client will open showing the users your product.

The good thing is that this idea has been proved to work and now it's great to see it on the iPhone/iPod Touch.

MadGoat

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2007
Canada
The good thing is that this idea has been proved to work and now it's great to see it on the iPhone/iPod Touch.

But every incarnation after the original had failed, and what's the incentive for me to:
  • open appstore
  • download and install the app
  • launch it
  • see advertisements
  • close the app
  • launching it again...
  • Close it
  • Launch it
If you make $10 with this app, that'll be amazing.

scott99

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2007
But every incarnation after the original had failed, and what's the incentive for me to:
  • open appstore
  • launch it
  • see advertisements
  • close the app
  • launching it again...
  • Close it
  • Launch it

DO NOT underestimate the stupidity of people. He may just make the million, I'm rooting for him. Overall, a smart marketing idea, for everyone who gets a pixel, pretty much can get your website seen by millions. For a very small cost. Also, this is a community app, people like to belong to things, be in a community. He was smart to post it here.

doink123

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2010
  • open appstore
  • launch it
  • see advertisements
  • close the app
  • launching it again...
  • Close it
  • Launch it

The user doesn't have to open and close the app every time. When he taps on a block he will see a bigger icon (50x50 pixels) and a description. If the user likes what he sees he can tap on the Open URL button, which will take him to the AppStore or the web site. And if the url goes to a web site, it will be opened in a web view, which doesn't close the Million Dollar App.

MadGoat

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2007
Canada
I guess I should have been more clear. Why would anyone open the app more than one time?

And also what's the incentive for someone to purchase a spot on your page if they won't get a return on their investment?

doink123

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2010
I guess I should have been more clear. Why would anyone open the app more than one time?

And also what's the incentive for someone to purchase a spot on your page if they won't get a return on their investment?

The diversity of the content will be huge. You wouldn't know what an incredible app or site might be hiding behind the next block until you tap to see it. Also, the developers can change their blocks anytime they want, for example, when they release a new app. The content will always be new and the user can explore it to find all the little gems that might be hiding there.

scott99

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2007
The diversity of the content will be huge. You wouldn't know what an incredible app or site might be hiding behind the next block until you tap to see it. Also, the developers can change their blocks anytime they want, for example, when they release a new app. The content will always be new and the user can explore it to find all the little gems that might be hiding there.

Exactly, it's a lot of free advertising, the more people buy, the more see the app, the more advertising the pixels get, the more clicks the pixels get, etc. Almost like a cheap version of Google Adsense. Not condoning, not condemning, just should be interesting to see how this does, wish I thought of this first. I have another million dollar money making idea, but need the right person to make it for me and split the earnings.

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
The biggest practical problem with doing this on the iPhone is that the screen has less than 200,000 actual pixels on it, so to get your million on there you either have to scale them down until a 10x10 block of them is going to be almost invisible, or people are going to have to scroll to see stuff, which is not an attractive proposition for someone looking for advertising space.

The web version worked because, other than the fact that it was a novel gimmick at the time, you could see all million pixels pretty much at the same time.

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
I remember the guy who came up with this (for a webpage) interviewed on the news. Wonder why he didn't patent it. Maybe he couldn't..

Once something has been made public, it's pretty much impossible to patent it. I'm not really sure if there was anything patentable about it anyway.

SteveMobs

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2008
Washington D.C.
Why would I DL an app with which I can look at advertisements?

I can't stand internet advertising, so why, pray-tell, would I download an app to do exclusively that which I hate?

doink123

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2010
The biggest practical problem with doing this on the iPhone is that the screen has less than 200,000 actual pixels on it, so to get your million on there you either have to scale them down until a 10x10 block of them is going to be almost invisible, or people are going to have to scroll to see stuff, which is not an attractive proposition for someone looking for advertising space.

The web version worked because, other than the fact that it was a novel gimmick at the time, you could see all million pixels pretty much at the same time.

From the FAQ:

Q: You said that you can’t show all 1,000,000 pixels on the iPhone screen at once. How do I know the users will ever see my blocks?
================================
A: The "Smart Scroll" function takes care for this. When the application is opened, the screen will be scrolled to a position the user hasn’t seen before and then will be repeated again after several application launches. This way everyone will have a good chance of exposure.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
When you created the app - did you read the original story. He was very successful. It worked. It was novel.

But then he tried to duplicate it and it failed miserably. Well - it did make about 150K. Meanwhile, other sites across the net have tried without much success.

While I wish you luck - I think this app won't make you the money you think it will...

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
On 2nd thought - the real estate problem can be solved by setting the app up for the iPad's dimensions

But I still think the novelty of this has worn thin

deenybird

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2008
Cool idea, but the others are right, there is 1 problem. I can see why developers would like to advertise, but why would any customer download an app that soley offers advertisements?

You'll do fine with the developers, but i expect you'll have trouble gettigm downloads unless you offer anything else besides ads.

Best of luck. Entrepreneurs make the world go round.

wowipod

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
Queensland

Why would people visit the million dollar homepage even once? Why would people want a spot on that page? Your asking questions of the concept not the app.

Its exactly the same concept and it probably will work.

lionheartednyhc

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2009
Jesus christ. Anyone who says the whole "gatekeeper" method is to improve the quality of apps is full of crap.

So you are asking me to download an app onto my computer, whose sole function is to
A. Shout advertising at me in an absolutely obnoxious way,
B. make you money &
C. Make the people who are giving you money, money ....
at absolutely no benefit to me.

Riiiiiight.

appleseed76

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2010

Holy crap! I just when on this website and it's a mess. Why would anyone want to download this thing, let alone view it?

It looks like someone swallowed every kind of possible junk mail ad and then puked it up on all on to one page. My eyes, it hurts my eyes!!!

Plus, if I found something I liked, but couldn't dl it at the time (at work), how would I find it later (at home).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.