A Mini Conundrum: Mini 2 or Mini 4 (both 64GB)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Johnny365, Nov 30, 2015.

1. Johnny365 macrumors regular

Johnny365

Which would you choose?

What if the Mini 2 64GB was Black/Space Grey?

What if the Mini 4 64GB was White/Gold?

Mini 2 64GB $100 (used) and Mini 4 64GB $499 (new)?

For price sake, better to stick with Mini 2? How is it with iOS 9.1? And if we can't discuss jailbreaks, let me know, but how does Medusa run on the Mini 2 which allows a variation of multitasking that the Mini 4 officially has?

Thanks!

2. Capt T macrumors 6502a

If you can afford the mini 4, it would be the choice I would make. If not the mini 2 seems like a good deal.

3. newellj macrumors 601

Somewhat depends on your uses, but at that price the Mini 2 is a reasonable buy, even if you only get a year or two out of it before you upgrade.

4. MikeAK macrumors regular

I agree. For a bill I would take that Mini 2 and get as much out of it as you can before you feel it needs upgrading. Who knows, maybe by the time it finally feels outdated you'll have a mini 5 to buy. Mini 2 for a bill would be my choice, assuming it's in perfect working order.

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. However, I'd still go with the mini 4 if you can swing the finances @Johnny365

6. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Mini 4 all the way. Runs way too many circles around the Mini 2.

7. modernaccord macrumors 6502a

Mini 4 is my recommendation. It's noticeably thinner and lighter, way more powerful, and won't go obselete as quickly as the Mini 2 will.

8. OTACORB macrumors 6502a

OTACORB

I am in the process of selling a Mini 2 and even with the upgrade to iOS 9.1 it still ran buttery smooth. No it isn't as fast as the Mini 4, but you are likely to get another couple of years out of it for $100. It's really a no brainer decision in my opinion! Unless you are one of those that just need to have the latest, but it doesn't sound like you are. I actually purchased the Mini 4 and returned it because I just couldn't justify dropping $500 for the little improvement it offers on the things I do each day.

By the way I am only selling it because of my aged eyes and I need a bigger display. So, I opted for purchased a refurb Air 2, which has worked out great for me. I don't find it that much faster than the Mini 2 either.

9. rkuo macrumors 6502a

20% faster for 5x the price? Come on guys ... for most people buying a new Mini 4 is the wrong answer.

10. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

That price for a mini 2 is very cheap. I'd probably go for that.

11. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

This is like asking who would you rather marry...an older attractive person who's not so smart, but doesn't cost much to keep happy, or a younger smarter person, who might not be so good looking (sorry, gold is ugly in my book) with fancy taste?

Every single person will have a different answer.

I pass them both up for the nicer looking space gray 4, at whatever the cost.

12. joeblow7777 macrumors 68040

I'm a Mini 4 fan all the way... but for THAT price, the Mini 2 is such a bargain it's hard to justify passing it up.

13. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

My mini 2 has been horrible on iOS 9.1, 9.2 is much better but still pretty poor. Done 2 clean installs. If you use the spotlight or app switcher regularly, iOS 9 is absolutely horrendous. If the only animations you ever see are going in and out of apps, it's passable but it still skips frames a bit, especially when pinching to close to go to the home screen.

But seriously. That app switcher was legit 10FPS on the mini 2, spotlight like 20 and very sluggish. Mini 4 is probably better but not by a ton since A7->A8 wasn't a huge jump. Haven't actually used a mini 4 though so yeah take it with a grain of salt.
    I'm leaning towards the mini 2 to be honest because $100 is nothing for an iPad that's still up to date. Yeah I just rained **** on it a second ago, but we are talking a 5x difference in price.

If you are strapped for money get the mini 2. If you have a lot to throw around, get the mini 4.

14. masotime macrumors 68000

masotime

Does it still have a warranty attached to it?

15. wchigo macrumors 6502

wchigo

Colour matters less to me on iPads compared to iPhones, so if I were decided between the two that would have no effect either way.

Price however... the Mini 2 for only $100 is extremely attractive, provided that it is in good condition. If so, I gotta say I'd lean heavily towards the Mini 2 since you can pick it up at 1/5th the price of a new Mini 4, especially so if you need to keep an eye on finances.

16. MikeAK macrumors regular

Yeah, it's exactly like that. Good Job.:rolleyes:

17. Johnny365 thread starter macrumors regular

Johnny365

I'm guessing not. I won't know for sure until it arrives late this week or early next. She got it when it first came out, but Apple has since discontinued the 64/128 storage options to make the Mini 4 more enticing.

Regardless, I went for the Mini 2 64GB. I haven't had an iPad since the 1st generation 32GB/Wifi model. I do have an iPhone 6 Plus 64GB, and recently sold my Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 to Amazon (Mini 2 is roughly the same time period from the Tab Pro). It was a great tablet, but I've grown more fond of iOS than Android in recent years.

Thanks for everyone else on putting things in perspective. Yes, it is a no brainer at 1/5 the price. I'll just have to see how I feel about performance and everyday tasks when it gets here. I don't use spotlight on my iPhone so the sluggish performance with that wouldn't even be noticed by me.

18. kapp2, Dec 1, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2015

kapp2 macrumors 6502

kapp2

Mini 4 is a Exelent upgrade from Mini 2. Contrast on the display is amazing, and it has Lammineted screen, which is the best part of it :D and colors are alot better :) mini 2 colors look undersaturated :/ A7 to A8 not big upgrade ? I feel big difference between A7 vs A8 on gaming!

19. kapp2 macrumors 6502

kapp2

Mini 2 is very good yes :) but for new Released Games. Not recommended for that,

20. newellj, Dec 1, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2015

newellj macrumors 601

Agreed again, but at $100 a lot of questions fade somewhat. :)

Dollar for dollar, the Mini 2 at $100 is probably more "future proof" than the Mini 4. Figure three years use then sell the Mini 4 for $125, you paid $125/year for ownership. This total cost of the Mini 2 is less than that and although it's a little slower, it's not _that_ bad. I still have a Mini 2 and it's perfectly usable, it's just not as nice to use.

21. OTACORB macrumors 6502a

OTACORB

That is just not my experience. I've just not had any issues on the iPad Mini 2 with iOS 9.1. I do use app switcher and again it works smooth.

I can't disagree that if you have the money go for the Mini 4, but if you are looking for a Mini and don't need or want to spend the money on the latest then the iPad Mini 2 would be satisfactory.

22. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

where did you find that 20% picture ?
    New SoC and double the RAM ...

23. rkuo, Dec 3, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2015

rkuo macrumors 6502a

24. Aydy macrumors member

Aydy

I cant believe someone is selling mini 2 for $100. I recently sold mine for £180. I think its a great ipad and tbh my Air 2 doesnt seem any faster than the mini2 however my safari never reloads anymore. Nice.
    For 100 dollars, its a steal.

25. archvile macrumors regular

archvile

Same experience on mini 4. App switcher is around 10fps every single time. It's atrocious and amazes me that they pushed it out the door like this. Frame drops everywhere. Hopefully 9.2 patches some of this up. BTW my mini 4 is like 3 days old and did this out of the box, so i seriously doubt it is anything other than the OS itself causing this.