A Mini DisplayPort to HDMI query

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by geordiekid, Feb 20, 2011.

1. geordiekid macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I've done a bit of searching for this answer, but though people have had similar problems, I can't track down the answer (explanation below) - so if anyone could explain/help - I'd be really grateful.

Have just got a new MacBook pro, bought a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter, plugged in a HDMI cable into the back of my amp which feeds my TV, and turned on. (I don't think any of these problems are brought about by the amp being in this chain, as the exact same thing happens even if the MBP is plugged directly into the TV)

I'm having problems with the resolution that the MBP is outputting to the TV.

The TV is a Samsung LE40R74BDX which has a resolution of 1366x768.

When I connect the MBP and choose a 1080i resolution for the MDP output (though the same happens with 480p/720p), then when the displays are mirrored, or I choose my Samsung to be the main display (taking the dock and menu bar) - the dock is cut in half (only showing half the icons in the dock) and the menu bar is hidden (or cut off as it is higher than where the top of the screen is).

I have tried changing TV settings, but only the picture size can be amended - from 16:9 to 4:3 - and that keeps the menu bar/dock problem - but obviously just makes the picture square on the screen.

I would like to keep my MBP screen res at 1440x900 but output a 16:9 resolution on my Samsung LCD - something like 1366x768 or 1280x720, 1920x1080 if I can. How can I do this without losing the dock at the bottom and menu bar at the top? I would've expected that having a different settings for each screen in the screen preferences panel would've worked. Why do they not?

I have a horrible feeling it won't be possible, or that my elementary knowledge of resolutions may be the problem...

Thanks hopefully in advance. I've tried a couple of hours searching for an answer, but it seems that while people have similar problems, some were with earlier versions of OS X, and so the options in System Prefs have changed, searches also bring up people having problems getting ANY picture through HDMI at all - and while the answer might be out there - I just can't find it by a search. So any suggestions welcome!

best
    gk

2. John.B macrumors 601

John.B

Search for the term "osx overscan" using your favorite search engine. Your HDTV and Mac OSX both have overscan settings, you may need to try two or three combinations to make that look right. FWIW, it's fairly common to have monitors of different sizes and resolutions connected to the same computer.

3. geordiekid thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! I got to the bottom of it with your help!

To explain for anyone who comes here through a search...

Move the underscan slider bar to fit the output to the size of the display.

Thanks again!