Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
UK
A quick rant. The new blue and purple colours just don't look as good. I really don't like this trend of making the colours lighter, especially considering everytime they do it they seem to clash worse and worse with the black bezels. I was very impressed seeing the blue colour of the M1 Air in person, the teal shade I'm not sure about but they got the shade just right. I don't think there was any reason to change it.

It's the exact same with the iPhone. The blue of the iPhone 12 was basically perfect, vibrant and complemented the black of the front bezels perfectly, and then with every generation after it became lighter and lighter, duller and duller.

Some light colours go well with black, like white, gold, or silver, but blue and purple just don't.

Isengardtom

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2009
Seems like the trend this year is more lighter colors. Same with the iPhones if the rumours turn out to be true.

When using the device, you don’t notice the colours anymore though. People complained a lot about the M1 iMac’s white bezels. And those you actually do see when you work on the iMac. Personally for me it’s a non issue and I actually like those white bezels.

I’d say if the current choice of colourful Airs isn’t your kind of thing, there is always the standard black / white equivalent

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
UK
Seems like the trend this year is more lighter colors. Same with the iPhones if the rumours turn out to be true.

When using the device, you don’t notice the colours anymore though. People complained a lot about the M1 iMac’s white bezels. And those you actually do see when you work on the iMac. Personally for me it’s a non issue and I actually like those white bezels.

I’d say if the current choice of colourful Airs isn’t your kind of thing, there is always the standard black / white equivalent
I remember reading somewhere that Apple probably made the decision to make the bezels on the iMac white because it blends better with typical interior walls. I have an iMac in blue, I personally don't mind the white bezels and I think the blue colour looks amazing, but that light shade of white (specifically the one that they use on the chin and the cables) would clash horribly with black bezels.

Reactions: Isengardtom

ninaco

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2012
VA
A quick rant. The new blue and purple colours just don't look as good. I really don't like this trend of making the colours lighter, especially considering everytime they do it they seem to clash worse and worse with the black bezels. I was very impressed seeing the blue colour of the M1 Air in person, the teal shade I'm not sure about but they got the shade just right. I don't think there was any reason to change it.

It's the exact same with the iPhone. The blue of the iPhone 12 was basically perfect, vibrant and complemented the black of the front bezels perfectly, and then with every generation after it became lighter and lighter, duller and duller.

Some light colours go well with black, like white, gold, or silver, but blue and purple just don't.
After receiving the new “purple” Air, I emphatically agree! I don’t detect even a hint of purple to the tone. It looks more like a washed out silver. Blah!

Reactions: nj-morris
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.