A mod to keep game save files?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by WiiDSmoker, Dec 13, 2010.

1. WiiDSmoker macrumors 65816

WiiDSmoker

Is there a mod to keep game save files? I've been playing quite a bit of games lately and I'm wanting to go ahead and start backing up save files.

2. gigapocket1 macrumors 6502a

Only way is via ssh.. Either ssh them out of the phone itself.. and then if you restore.. ssh back in after and put the files back.. thats the only way..

3. WiiDSmoker thread starter macrumors 65816

WiiDSmoker

K. That's easy enough for now. Figured this would be it. THanks:cool:

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Do you know what files and where they are stored?
    I think I might go that route also.

5. WiiDSmoker thread starter macrumors 65816

WiiDSmoker

I do. For example for Tumbledrop it is

\72576834-F2D4-4376-9DA8-C648CDAA46EB\Library\Preferences\com.starfruitgames.Tumbledrop.plist

That is the exact save file for this game. I'd probably just backup the whole folder though.

6. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I prefer Chronus.

8. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

For the records that plist is NOT your game saves, that only hold your App settings.

backing up the whole folder seen to work for "most" app (some app got some weird combination of local+online files that even over-writing the folder don't bring back the game saved)

9. WiiDSmoker thread starter macrumors 65816

WiiDSmoker

Ah okay. Guess I got lucky on this app then. Thanks for the info! :D

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Interesting.
    So different games have different places that they save your progress at?
    Where is that folder located again?

11. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

As far as i know (keep in mind that it may be almost nothing ;) ) Game saves haven't been located (yet), they seen to be somewhere in a database with no "human readable" names, they also seen to be some type of Database + Plist combination (similar to the music on the iPod.app, adding the files back to the file system doesn't actually add the game save). Also the fact that replacing the folder doesn't work all the time have let to believe that some games use some other type of storage (this is PURE and 100% speculation by developers at this point).

12. WesCole macrumors 6502a

I was under the impression that game data was backed up via the normal itunes backup. Is it not? or are y'all just talking about backing up the specific file to keep by itself?

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Damn, that sucks.
    Thanks bro.
    I tend to setup as new each time I upgrade the firmware and hate to have to start all games from the beggining.

14. ulbador, Dec 13, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2010

ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

The game saves are generally going to be in their respective Application Support "sandbox". The saves are going to be in whatever format the developer chooses. Some of them will use SQLite databases, others might use a plist, while others use a custom binary format. One of the apps I wrote stored everything in an SQLite database, and if you access the phone via SSH, you can backup and restore this file at will (and even open it with sqlite3 on your Desktop)

I know Plants VS Zombies uses a custom binary format that you can actually move between the Desktop and iPhone version and use your same save game. I was also able to hexedit this file to max out my money. I got sick to death of trying to earn it.

There are generally two folders to backup and restore. The stuff under Library for the app, and then the Documents directory for the app. Jailbreak apps like Chronus and AppBackup just automate what you can actually do fairly easily manually.

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

16. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

After seeing it mentioned earlier, I've been trying to check it out all day to see how it compares to AppBackup. The big thing I noticed is that you could only backup one thing at a time without purchase (whereas you just purchase AppBackup up front). Sadly the website has been experiencing problems. I personally have used AppBackup a couple of times with no problems.

The big thing I learned was that when you restored your backups, you first had to make a backup on the phone, to create the backup structure, then you had to overwrite it with the real backup. Then you could restore as normal. It's not mentioned in any of the docs and caused a headache the first time I tried it.

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I see. Kinda of a pain but worth a shot.
    Thanks bro.

18. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

At the very least, although a bit of a pain, I can verify that AppBackup does work as advertised (My Angry Birds and PvZ games survived upgrades from 4.0, to 4.0.1 and finally to 4.1, each time restoring as new).

It's just not an easy one or two click process.