Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

New puzzle game "A Monster's Expedition" has arrived on Apple Arcade. The title comes from Draknek, developers of "Cosmic Express," and offers players an "adorable" open-world adventure in which they must push over trees to create pathways and explore islands near and far.

A-Monsters-Expedition-Key-Art-logo.jpg

The game includes hundreds of islands to visit – some right in front of you, others "well off the beaten track for true puzzle lovers." The game uses simple but deep mechanics providing several possibilities to discover and learn about "mythical humans" from the perspective of curious monsters.

"A Monster's Expedition" is suitable for players of the age of four and above, and can be played on iPhone, iPad, Mac, and Apple TV through the Apple Arcade subscription gaming service.

Article Link: 'A Monster's Expedition' Comes to Apple Arcade

Last edited:

somnolentsurfer

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2008
This hasn't been out anywhere else before today. There was a demo briefly available during the Steam summer festival, but it's never been released before. In fact, Steam currently says it won't be out for another six hours, whereas it's been on Apple Arcade since midnight.

Anyway, this is a good one. Been very much looking forward to it since the announcement after Cosmic Express and A Good Snowman is Hard to Build were both wonderful. I've not played a lot so far, but it looks well worth a month's subscription. The price on Steam doesn't seem to have been announced yet, but I suspect it'll be more.

nvmls

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2011
Why do all these games look exactly the same?! Apple Arcade is a joke.

Absolutely, devs aren't Apple obviously, but somehow they all look the same since day 1 and they just keep putting them out.

A while back Apple stated they would focus on quality over quantity, so far it's been nothing more than PR smoke.

somnolentsurfer

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2008
Ha. So you’ve removed the bit where you said it had been released earlier in the year on Mac and Windows, but not left any sign that the article has been edited?

Reactions: miq

Jensend

macrumors 6502
Dec 19, 2008
Absolutely, devs aren't Apple obviously, but somehow they all look the same since day 1 and they just keep putting them out.

A while back Apple stated they would focus on quality over quantity, so far it's been nothing more than PR smoke.
Based on your experience from playing the game so far, can you explain why it isn’t up to your quality standards?

• Disagree

somnolentsurfer

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2008
Please provide a list of all the other games of this type so I can *ahem* avoid them.
I've not got that far into either so far, but The Last Campfire has some similar puzzles. I suspect this will go into greater depth with them though. Also loved Where Cards Fall and The Enchanted World. Tint is pretty good to, with path-finding style puzzles, but less character.

Then, of course, not on Apple Arcade, but both Cosmic Express and A Good Snowman is Hard to Build are 80% off at the moment.

nvmls

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2011
Based on your experience from playing the game so far, can you explain why it isn’t up to your quality standards?

Sorry with those graphics even my kids refuse to try it.

Feel free to enlighten us meanwhile so we can carry on with our day.

atoqir

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2018
Apple has some good games on there like Last Campfire, Samurai Jack and a few other.

But they really need to diversify in graphics style. Games like Witcher Thronebreaker would make a good fit

smoking monkey

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
Please provide a list of all the other games of this type so I can *ahem* avoid them.

So you're a fan of this style of indie game. Go for it. But the facts show that Apple constantly choosing tonally similar indie games is not really working. People just aren't signing up.

I got nothing against the game dev. I got a beef with Apple and their curation.

Jensend

macrumors 6502
Dec 19, 2008
So you're a fan of this style of indie game. Go for it. But the facts show that Apple constantly choosing tonally similar indie games is not really working. People just aren't signing up.

I got nothing against the game dev. I got a beef with Apple and their curation.
I am a fan of well-designed puzzles. Other developers of well-designed puzzle games are praising this game.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I signed up because of this game. There were a couple other newer Apple Arcade games that looked interesting to me as well, such as Creaks and The Last Campfire. Yeah, I let my subscription lapse for a while, but that’s because I have so many other sources of entertainment, including VR games, standard PC games, streaming services and books.

Most games on Apple Arcade don’t interest me, but that’s the case with any subscription service.
Sorry with those graphics even my kids refuse to try it.

Feel free to enlighten us meanwhile so we can carry on with our day.
This game has much fancier graphics than most of the puzzle games I play, but for me, the most important thing is that the graphics clearly convey the state of the game world. I occasionally like to play games with fancy graphics, but it isn’t a requirement.
One of the most “hardcore” puzzle games, Snakebird, looks like an app made for toddlers. It’s a good game, but too hard for me to finish.

Reactions: somnolentsurfer

JCCL

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
Apple Arcade is not meant for hardcore gamers or to compete with XBOX or PS4, it never was.

However thanks for proving how over the top that community can be. It's quite toxic at times in general.
You might have missed the new of Apple blocking a hardcore gaming service....leaving this with the only option for gamers (and the loads of worthless freemium games)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.