Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Almy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 27, 2008
I'm finding the backgrounder app isn't suited to my needs. I have to re enable things like email notification and IM any time I lock or reboot my phone. That means running each app everytime i wake my phone which defeats the purpose.

Is there an app that does it with more of a UI toggle or something with more control?

Almy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 27, 2008
Thanks for the link! I'll give that a try one of these days. Unfortunately I'm rarely at a computer, and I'll need to learn a bit to test it out. But thanks again, something I can toy around with eventually.

rainmanbk

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2006
I just installed Insomnia from Cydia. This along with Backgrounder will allow you to have AIM or something similar that needs the network connection, running all the time. I'm interested to see the battery drain however.

Almy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 27, 2008
Yeah I had given it a try while also using insomnia, but still had t re-enable after reboots and sleeping. I rarely use wifi anyway, but tested it anyway. It's intersting because while using them I would have to re-enable email which is supposed to run anyway. Once I uninstalled them email worked again like it was supposed to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.