A more elegant Gmail solution

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by bostonte, Jul 10, 2007.

1. bostonte macrumors regular

Due to the price, storage space, and good spam filter offered by Gmail Apps Premier -- I'm hard pressed to switch. But I can't use POP download to my iPhone or else I'd drive myself nuts between the iPhone and the two computers I need to be able to access my email on.

After a bit of Googling (considering switching providers), I stumbled upon an open source bit of code called iGmail. Basically you upload this to your python/subversion compatible host and it acts as an IMAP front end for your Gmail account.

Information can be found at http://butterfat.net/igmail

It's not a "non-tekie" solution, but I was able to get it up and running without difficulty. And, on the plus side, now I can not only use IMAP on my iPhone to manage my Gmail account -- but I can now use my preferred email client on my desktop instead of having to always use the web interface.

I hope this helps others.

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

they could charge for IMAP/more POP, i think it'd be worth it.

3. bostonte thread starter macrumors regular

I agree. The $50 a year they're charging me is a pittance for what they offer compared to what I was paying other companies. I'd gladly pay more for some type of IMAP solution -- but since I was already paying for a compatible hosting company, this will hold me over until a better gmail solution comes to the iPhone.

4. copland007 macrumors member

copland007

haha I love the disclaimer...

5. ibelite macrumors newbie

yeah...DONT USE IT, i got temporarily banned :p

6. bostonte thread starter macrumors regular

seriously? I can't tell if the smiely face is joking or disgruntled. Been using for several days now -- knock on wood.

Were you on a free or paid account? Not sure if it would make a difference since pop allows you to escape ads anyways -- but at least on my paid account there arent any at all for me to be trying to get around.

Or did ypu fire up the "import mail" script on an account with a bazillion messages?

Either way, guess that stinks and ive got to go back to nongmail solutions until they get their act together and release something helpful for iphone

7. ibelite macrumors newbie

i fired up importmail with a bazillion messages..but it works now, like i said temporary.i guess im gonna try this on a test gmail account to see how it goes.

8. wanabru@mac.com macrumors newbie

A free solution already in iPhone

I think I stumbled upon how to fix the iphone email with a custom domain hosted by Gmail problem.

The answer was fairly simple. First you need a regular gmail address. The you setup a new mail account on the iPhone using the 'Other' configuration.

Enter your name, custom domain email address, and description. For the receive portion put in your gmail address information and put your custom domain username and password in the send mail area.

Lastly, login to your gmail interface for your custom domain email and check mark email forwarding and put in your gmail address you specified.

All of your custom domain email is now forwarded to the gmail address on your iPhone and all replies/forwards are sent from your custom domain address.

It doesn't 'sync' with iTunes, but hopefully Apple/Google will fix this soon and this workaround won't be necessary.