A Mouse in My Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rollercoasternd, Aug 23, 2009.

1. rollercoasternd macrumors newbie

Hello, this may sound truly bizarre but my iMac has been playing a really random sound lately. It sounds like a mouse or hamster making the little squeaky noise that rodents make. I can't figure out what is causing it but it is coming out of the iMac's speakers. When ever I hear it I try to see what could be playing it, I thought maybe it is one of those stupid flash banners like the ones that say "Congratulations you've won an iPod/iPhone." but I havn't seen any suspects. I've heard it even when nothing is open on my Mac and the screen saver is going, I don't see any apps running... I really don't know where the sound is coming from, its really starting to bother me. I know Mac's aren't known for virus's and this would be an unusual one if it were the case, but I don't know what to do. If googled and can't find an answer so I'm hoping the MacRumors community might have some insight. Thanks in advance for any help or comments you can provide.

2. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Sounds like faulty hardware...? Hardrive perhaps?

-Omi

3. TheVidEditor macrumors regular

TheVidEditor

That is quite different :confused: Either bring it to the Apple Store or try opening it by yourself.

4. rollercoasternd thread starter macrumors newbie

It is definitely a recorded sound, its exactly the same every time. Its some sort of sound file or something that is playing on it own.

5. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

I have heard of this happening before... interference from other things?

Take it to another room and see what happens

-Omi

6. EmperorDarius macrumors 6502a

7. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

8. rollercoasternd thread starter macrumors newbie

OMG!!! Thank you! Thats exactly what it was. I pulled up dashboard and there it was. a little rat ran across the screen and it made that sound! You saved the day! I've removed the widget and its gone!

9. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

My pleasure.

Developers who make Dashboard widgets with sound effects should be shot. I've seen this question pop up from time to time around here.