A much better dark mode menubar

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by ACDIT, Jun 26, 2014.

1. ACDIT macrumors member

ACDIT

2. potatis macrumors 6502a

potatis

who's that girl? would go nice with a red theme.

3. Manic Harmonic macrumors 6502

Is that the whiteserver.menu from obsidian menu bar? Because that one has white spotlight and notification center icons.

4. ACDIT thread starter macrumors member

ACDIT

I'td be great if running both whiteuiservers.menu was possible ! but i don't think it is !

----------

I don't have a name sorry , just found that wallpaper somewhere !

5. Manic Harmonic macrumors 6502

I don't know how it's made, but there's got to be a way to decompile it. I think that's how the obsidian developer creates it. I'm not quite sure how it works.

6. ACDIT thread starter macrumors member

ACDIT

Probably , if you find a way to decompile it then please do share :p

7. Manic Harmonic, Jul 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2014

Manic Harmonic macrumors 6502

Looks like it's not in whiteuiserver.menu. The necessary files to change are:

/System/Library/CoreServices/Search.bundle/Contents/Resources/Index_Dot_Black.tiff
    /System/Library/CoreServices/Search.bundle/Contents/Resources/MDSearchMenuIcon.pdf
    /System/Library/CoreServices/NotificationCenter.app/Contents/Resources/menuitemMute.tiff
    /System/Library/CoreServices/NotificationCenter.app/Contents/Resources/menuitemNormal.tiff
    /System/Library/CoreServices/NotificationCenter.app/Contents/Resources/menuitemPressed.tiff

I'm pretty sure the spotlight icon is a different shape in yosemite but at least this one is white.

If you look in the Obsidian Menu Bar installer with Pacifist you can see all the different items and if you do "Show Info" it will tell you the default install location.

So you could either use those or modify the existing ones in Yosemite with Photoshop or something. I have attached the ones from the Obsidian installer if you just want to install those, as well as a screenshot of the contents of the installer.

BTW - The WhiteUIServer.menu is just a package, so you can right click and do "Show Package Contents." Here's something interesting... Look at the screenshot I attached of the contents of WhiteUIServer.menu, it's all Cydia Substrate stuff.

Attached Files:

8. ACDIT thread starter macrumors member

ACDIT

Thank you for the great effort , i used your files but with a much simpler approach with Geektool , set them up to stay on top and it resulted in this :

[​IMG]

Overall impressed with the yosemite UI !

9. Manic Harmonic macrumors 6502

Hey, that's a pretty cool technique! Wouldn't have thought of that.

10. ACDIT thread starter macrumors member

ACDIT

Haha thanks ! good to be a bit innovative :p

11. Manic Harmonic macrumors 6502

BTW is the spotlight icon still the correct shape?

Also, in the obsidian menu bar installer there are also a lot of inverted icons for third party apps.

12. ACDIT thread starter macrumors member

ACDIT

Yeah it fit perfectly ! as for 3rd party apps , i just invert their menubar icons myself it's quite easy !

13. dastinger macrumors 6502a

dastinger

I'm probably asking something obvious but I've been a bit off of all this stuff. What's that music player with all that info? :eek:

14. ACDIT thread starter macrumors member

ACDIT

15. Tavicu macrumors regular

Tavicu

Lolina Green :)

16. Cythth macrumors regular

Cythth

ftw!

17. 576316 macrumors 601

Wow, I actually really like the darker menu bar and dock. I can see myself using night mode permanently. Bring on PB1!

18. ACDIT thread starter macrumors member

ACDIT

A lot of us actually plan on using dark mode as the default system appearance ! DP3 in a few days should hopefully have a polished Dark mode.

19. 3282868 macrumors 603

You forgot to point to the /Resources/ folder for each, added it.

Done a lot of modding already, created custom .tiff's in Adobe AI for system and third party app's such as Dropbox, 1Password 4 (beta), BetterTouchTool, TotalSpaces2, and ControlCenter (great app, been using it for a long while, now that 10.10 won't have the rumored Control Center lefthand panel the developer is working on a much fuller app although version 2.0 just came out, it doesn't have the bottom left and right corner display option), Chronicle, and system icons. The Menubar icons for third party app's will always be in the app package contents resources file.

Also created a 3D dock with some help from the creator of cDock, it's not in the screen shot as I'm still working on the right depth.

Attached Files:

20. ACDIT, Jul 3, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2014

ACDIT thread starter macrumors member

ACDIT

Do share if you get a polished 3d dock !

21. dcaldwellfilms macrumors newbie

Can I ask how you got TotalSpaces2 working on Yosemite? I have not been able to get it to work. Thanks!

22. Manic Harmonic macrumors 6502

Oops, thank you. I'll edit my post.

----------

These downloads are for Yosemite. They aren't on the official download page I don't think. http://discuss.binaryage.com/t/tota...-yosemite-is-it-a-hard-work-to-fix-it/2077/13

23. dcaldwellfilms macrumors newbie

24. Manic Harmonic macrumors 6502

Yeah, that's one of the apps that I pretty much can't live without.