A musical example of creation on IPad. Using latest GarageBand.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by foiden, Mar 11, 2012.

1. foiden macrumors 6502a

Just a share to give people some idea of the potential of this app. I already claimed it was indeed possible to actually soundtrack things with just the iPad, especially now that you have more export options, including directly into iPad iMovie.

Anyway, this excerpt of a popular song was done in about an hour, complete with balancing. No other tools were used in the production. I'm also generally known as akaimizu on the Internet, by the way. Particularly when I do music. Since you see a different nickname here.

http://soundcloud.com/akaimizu/happy-feelings-maze

Enjoy.

2. cueru macrumors member

Nice work! And I very much agree with you. I'm definitely looking forward to using Garage Band on my new iPad for making music, especially since I have a connector for my electric guitars (or for a microphone/keyboard), and I'm already planning on recording a cover with an accompanying video entirely on the iPad as an initial project to get acquainted with its potential. :)

3. foiden thread starter macrumors 6502a

That'll work well. I've already recorded stuff where I also used recorded instruments using the built-in mic or the I-Rig. They mix very well with the included instruments, which goes to show the quality of the included instruments are not bad when live instruments blend smoothly with them.

It has just enough post effects to give you some good sound. You'll be impressed on how this thing can be an actual *budget* studio if you want. And it's the most portable.

Of course, the best feature for Mac users is the ability to export the songs as music files usable in Mac GarageBand and subsequently Logic Pro Studio. So you can also make this your mini studio to start professional work and bring your current unfinished idea to a big budget professional package and rig to finish.

So this makes a very viable "studio I carry around so I don't lose track of an idea the moment I get it" solution.

4. Hoggles macrumors regular

Hoggles

Great work foiden!! Very nice song. I do indeed have Happy Feelings now :)

I'm so excited for the 16th, can't wait to get Garageband on the latest Pad.

My band already has recording via our PC, but I'm looking forward to playing with this, in addition to this cool little device...

http://tascam.com/product/im2/

That should be fun :)

Thanks for the inspiration foiden! Great job!

5. foiden thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. And that Tascam looks drool-worthy. I might want to get one of those.

6. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

The sole reason I use the iPad and choose it over the competition. When it comes to making music on the go with a Tablet the iPad has Tons of Quality Midi enabled Music Apps, and wins hands down. Smooth remix! :cool:

Just a short List:
    Animoog
    iMS20
    ielectribe
    Fl Studio
    Propellerhead Rebirth
    Beatmaker 2
    Nanostudio
    Electrify
    Sunrizer
    Sunvox
    NLog Pro midi synth
    Fairlight
    Midi Touch, TouchOSC, Lemur (Configurable Midi Controllers)
    Djay
    Multitrack, Reforge, WavePad, TwitedWave (Wav Editors, Recorders)
    GenomeMidi, littleMidiMachine, StepPolyArp (Midi Sequencers)
    Studio.HD
    BS16i (Soundfont Player with midi Keyboard)

I can go on and on...

7. Hoggles macrumors regular

Hoggles

Agreed... Pretty damn cool. I'm getting one for sure.

8. cueru macrumors member

Oh dear, I really shouldn't be looking at things like this after dishing out the dough for a new iPad...but I will have to remember this for later!

9. foiden, Mar 11, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2012

foiden thread starter macrumors 6502a

I love a lot of those apps listed. sunrizer is awesome. It's the main one I know that allows you to have an entire fm synthesis editor that sounds professional. Comes complete with a software keyboard to play them back in whatever key you like, and works with the camera connection kit to control it with a USB midi keyboard as well. (Note: The song example here used no such USB connector. Everything you hear now used on-screen touch controls.) You can make your own invented sounds out of it, too. I actually plan to use that feature for an independent movie project I'm in the middle of working with.

Still, can't wait for the other apps to add the kind of sharing options that GarageBand has now. You can also output your entire mix, right in the iPad, to a file for which you can use as a single audio track in another GarageBand arrangement. Effectively giving you unlimited tracks in GarageBand and you don't have to copy anything out to another device to do it.

Another thing to note is that I used no other machine but this device to make the song, sign up for soundcloud, distribute the song, tell you guys about it, tweet about it, and put the link on my Facebook page. And still typing messages in this forum on it now. I could also put it in a movie now, with titles, and upload it to YouTube. So I think this latest update is a great one given that I can effectively do the gambit on an iPad alone, and easily.

So if someone asks you whether the iPad is worth it. I'll have to say, you'll hardly ever find another small device for the musician that is more cost effective. Not by a mile. I have equipment that to this very day, perform a single couple of functions the iPad can actually do, and I paid about the entire cost of the iPad to get it. Costs half the price of the iPad alone just to get one of the cheapest arrangements for a good quality guitar pedal rack. The Line 6 Pod on the floor performance rack. It can also function as a music sheet reader that you can use on a music stand (my first professional use of the thing). Dedicated electronic music readers can go for about $800 US.

10. Frankied22 macrumors 68000

Frankied22

I own the Tascam im2 and it is an awesome little product. The quality of its stereo condenser mic is amazing. I always use it to record riffs or song ideas with my iPhone 4. It's really good for acoustic songs.