A must read for all AW owners. From Apple Support

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by ZebraDude, Jan 28, 2017.

1. ZebraDude macrumors 6502a

ZebraDude

Source article: How to use your Apple Watch without your iPhone nearby

2. Birddog1 macrumors member

Birddog1

3. Kyle76 macrumors regular

Kyle76

4. Ffosse macrumors 6502a

Yes, it's good to know these facts; I often go out without my iPhone but with my watch recording my walk and music streaming to my earphones.

5. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68000

I went to the doctor in another city and forgot my iPhone. Was waiting in the lobby and I received a text from my wife. Didn't even realize that I had once connected to the hospitals wi-fi years earlier. Responded using scribble and set an reminder and calendar event that was on my phone when I got home.

Sometimes we have to get used to the idea that we don't need our phone around to do so much.

6. ajm222 macrumors 6502a

I need to take my phone with me a few times on runs. Just went for a run with a new AW and the GPS was not particularly accurate compared to when I run with my phone.

7. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Curious to know if that continues to be an issue. Perhaps it was just that specific route?

8. ajm222 macrumors 6502a

Will let you know. Not sure. My phone and the Map my Run app always track this particular route at 3.25 miles without fail. The AW suggested it was only 3 or a little less. Pretty big difference. And I know one of the watches I returned was a little inconsistent as well. My phone always followed the actual roads perfectly but when I looked at the map after runs with the AW, the line was kind of erratic at times, showing me at times running on another road that was parallel to the actual one I ran on, and it would occasionally be off when it came to distance - sometimes showing longer than my phone and sometimes shorter. Will probably try and run today with Watch and phone and see what happens.

9. noteple macrumors 65816

noteple

I forgot about the wifi calling feature. Thanks

10. mawool01 macrumors member

mawool01

Great info. I noticed that little cloud icon the other day and had no idea what that was. Now that I think about it my phone was out of reach but I was still connected to a wifi network with my watch.

11. MartyCan macrumors 65816

MartyCan

Good stuff. I just learned something I did not know (the cloud icon in the glances view).

12. bob24 macrumors 6502

For me GPS is not as accurate was the phone but it is more than good enough to track a run.

With the watch my recorded path is sometimes displayed on the map a bit off the actually road I was running along, but I would say it's never more than 5 meters of the actual road (most of the time less), and overall it is only clearly visible when you zoom on the map and I doubt it is having much of an impact in the actual distanced cover (it thinks your are slightly away from the road, but can still see you are running along it for the same distance you actually ran).

I also noticed it mostly tends to be off when you make abrupt turns, so I am wondering whether to save battery the frequency to record GPS location isn't reduced compared to the phone (and this other thing is that of course the phone has cellular and Wi-Fi assisted GPS which makes it more accurate).

13. ajm222 macrumors 6502a

i took my phone with me a few times to see if that would help. last night i decided to run with just the watch, and it was much more accurate. so running with the phone may have actually helped. will keep working with it. i know weather can sometimes make a difference. the first couple of times when it was really off, it also didn't seem to be picking up the satellite at all in certain spots. i don't know what the different colors or lines mean in the maps section of the activity app, but it showed a dotted line a few times that i assumed meant it didn't find a signal.

14. SparkFlash macrumors 6502

SparkFlash

Good information. I was looking for exactly this. Thanks!

15. SoN1NjA macrumors 65816

SoN1NjA

Not a must read for all Apple Watch users
    This isn't CNET or Consumer Reports

16. MartyCan macrumors 65816

MartyCan

Gotta be one in every crowd....

17. SoN1NjA macrumors 65816

SoN1NjA

I'm just saying the title was pretty clickbait
    I thought it would be a warning or something we haven't heard

Not what the owner's manual outlines

18. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

That's not even with Clickbait even is. If you want to see click bait, visit Yahoo or Reddit. And the owners manual is not accessible with the Apple Watch, unless you go online. At least the Apple Watch functions were Posted by Zebra Dude, where he provided a link to each subject if you were interested in looking at it more.

19. SoN1NjA macrumors 65816

SoN1NjA

It's on iBooks, although for some reason the last publish date was April 2015

Strange how it's not up to date, the iPhone one gets updated after every iOS version