A Must See pic --- Why you should buy a Mac

jonomo

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2005
lilstewart92 said:
haha, too bad Apple can't use it. It would be great.

That is one true reason to get a mac ;)
4% market share... only 4% viruses... makes sense...

stevietheb

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2004
Houston
I'm just counting the days until a nasty virus rips through the mac community. Then where will our argument be?!?! Well, I suppose market-share is so small that we won't have to tell anyone that there was a virus...we'll all collectively agree that it didn't happen.

Deal?

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
stevietheb said:
I'm just counting the days until a nasty virus rips through the mac community. Then where will our argument be?!?! Well, I suppose market-share is so small that we won't have to tell anyone that there was a virus...we'll all collectively agree that it didn't happen.

Deal?
Keep waiting for the day. Windows Vista will be out before then. And thats a long time.

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
jonomo said:
From Symantec's Website:
Intelligent Updater:
Virus Definitions created July 27
Virus Definitions released July 27
Norton AntiVirus Corp. Edition:
Defs Version: 70727h
Sequence Number: 47044
Extended Version: 7/27/2005 rev. 8
Total Viruses Detected: 70337

4% of that would mean we would have to have... um lets see...2813 viruses for OS X.

What would even just 1% be? 703 Viruses...

And you're talking about the day when the first one is released?!??! I'm not saying it can't happen. But the marketshare argument just doesn't work.

iPoster

macrumors regular
jonomo said:
:rolleyes:

"There are about 60,000 viruses known for Windows, 40 or so for the Macintosh, about 5 for commercial Unix versions, and perhaps 40 for Linux. Most of the Windows viruses are not important, but many hundreds have caused widespread damage. Two or three of the Macintosh viruses were widespread enough to be of importance. None of the Unix or Linux viruses became widespread - most were confined to the laboratory."
So there are far fewer viruses for Mac OS X and Linux. It's true that those two operating systems do not have monopoly numbers, though in some industries they have substantial numbers of users. But even if Linux becomes the dominant desktop computing platform, and Mac OS X continues its growth in businesses and homes, these Unix-based OS's will never experience all of the problems we're seeing now with email-borne viruses and worms in the Microsoft world.
Link to article.

g4cubed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2004
As I read his statement I was thinking the same thing.

Heb1228 said:
From Symantec's Website:
Intelligent Updater:
Virus Definitions created July 27
Virus Definitions released July 27
Norton AntiVirus Corp. Edition:
Defs Version: 70727h
Sequence Number: 47044
Extended Version: 7/27/2005 rev. 8
Total Viruses Detected: 70337

4% of that would mean we would have to have... um lets see...2813 viruses for OS X.

What would even just 1% be? 703 Viruses...

And you're talking about the day when the first one is released?!??! I'm not saying it can't happen. But the marketshare argument just doesn't work.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
A sign that says it all and very succinctly. I like the sale price also.

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
Yeah, too bad. But I can see why they would hesitate to make such a claim. So, it is up to us, you and I, to spread the word to friends and family! I converted three people this past year. More to go! :)

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
pubwvj said:
Yeah, too bad. But I can see why they would hesitate to make such a claim. So, it is up to us, you and I, to spread the word to friends and family! I converted three people this past year. More to go! :)
Alleluhia!

Alone2Gether

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2005
just found another virus. :mad:
cannot wait til I switch over to the Mac. PB update after Apple Expo Please!

jonomo

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2005
Heb1228 said:
Ignorant comment...
And your comment is moronic.. why don't you give a reason why you think its ignorant...???

listen.. i luv mac.. but i don't think one should be blinded and think that mac is the save all of all computing... the perfect computer with some halo around it...
if you can tell me a good reason WHY mac is superior against PC in terms of viruses.. plz let me know...

if you're gonna make a virus to cause harm to as many people as possible, you would make it for a computer that the majority of the people in the world use.. maybe you're an eeediot and think computer viruses just evolve or something.. :rolleyes: hehe.. seriously though.. there's really no incentive to make viruses for mac... not enough machines to infect..

I really hope the move to intel will increase the number of mac users.... but i guarantee that once mac hits a certain threshold of users, there will be a influx of mac viruses....

Thats when having a G4 mac will have an advantage... there will be very little incentive too create a mac g4 virus... as it will have a diminishing number of users to infect... virus creators want their viruses to spread and grow... (just to make clear to you.. viruses don't grow on trees).. no point in creating a virus for a computer that no longer exists... Whens the last time you heard of a virus hitting Windows 3.1???

come on dood... come up with a fairly reasonable arguement.. if you can.... :rolleyes:

jonomo

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2005
mad jew said:
I don't get it. Why can't Apple use the "Virus-free internet" mantra? :confused:
Cause once they start using it.. everyone who creates viruses will work to create a Mac breaking virus....

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
jonomo said:
And your comment is moronic.. why don't you give a reason why you think its ignorant...???

if you can tell me a good reason WHY mac is superior against PC in terms of viruses.. plz let me know...

come on dood... come up with a fairly reasonable arguement.. if you can.... :rolleyes:
A good reason? Because Root access is disabled by default on Macs and not on PCs. Thats why you have to type in your password to install software on a Mac and not on a PC. :D I think its a pretty good reason.

BTW... I gave two reasons earlier in the thread why i thought it was a ignorant statement, you obviously didn't read. :D

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
jonomo said:
I really hope the move to intel will increase the number of mac users.... but i guarantee that once mac hits a certain threshold of users, there will be a influx of mac viruses....

Thats when having a G4 mac will have an advantage... there will be very little incentive too create a mac g4 virus... as it will have a diminishing number of users to infect...

LOL I could go on forever with this guy... Viruses are software and don't care if you have a G4 or a G5. But I guess you probably meant a PowerPC Mac as opposed to an Intel Mac.

And what is the "threshold" of users that when we cross it, all these viruses are suddenly going to start flooding in? Mac user have bragged for years that we have no viruses. That's not incentive enough for someone to write one? How about the ability to say, "I was the first to write a virus for OS X and prove all the Mac users wrong." You don't think some hacker would love to say that?

Come on dood.. LOL

Whyren

macrumors 6502a
stevietheb said:

Deal?
Or worse yet, someone manages to create a virus to destroy filesystems and directories on iPods :eek:

milozauckerman

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2005
In 3+ years of running OS X, I've had the same number of viruses and general malware problems as my parents have had running Windows machines: zero.

The horrors of malware on Windows PCs are, I'd say, greatly overstated for semi-knowledgable users. Don't open "britney spears nude!!!.exe" off of LimeWire and you're probably in good shape.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
jonomo said:
Cause once they start using it.. everyone who creates viruses will work to create a Mac breaking virus....

I suppose that could be argued but I don't think it'd create a huge virus-making problem spree. Sure, one of the reasons OSX doesn't have viruses is because of its relatively small market share but another is the fact that it handles processes differently and is inherently more difficult to write viruses for.

...I think. :)